Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a new tire

Old 09-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Bberry20 is on a distinguished road
Default need a new tire

Anyone had any experience with a lump on there sidewall? Had some tires mounted and got them home to notice a nice bulge on the sidewall? The tires were used when i put them on, and when i looked at them before i put them on they were fine. Tire guys think i will need a new tire only problem is they only sell these at Les Schwabs (Wild Country TXR) and the nearest is 8 hours away. Any ideas what it could be. The shop said its probly a broken belt in the tire but it seems pretty far down the sidewall closer to the rim then the actual tread?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

There are belts in the sidewall. I'd say your tire guy just might know what he's talking about.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:01 AM
Beginning Member
nervousmini is on a distinguished road

A bulge in the sidewall indicates damage to the belts in the sidewall from an impact (pothole, curb, ect). You would not have been able to see this until the tire was mounted and inflated. The tire is not safe and should be replaced as soon as you can - please don't drive 8 hours on it - use your spare. See if you can but the replacement tire over the phone and have them ship it to you UPS and have it installed locally, you will probably save money shipping it vs driving 8 hours anyway.