Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Polishing stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Polishing stock wheels

So I have a '94 GMC Jimmy, and I'm looking to do something with my wheels. I'll be honest and say I pretty much hate the 31" tires that are on it now. They vibrate at highway speed, they rub when going over bumps while turning, and they have some dryrotting, so they are going to be gone in the next week or two. I have some 225/70R15 Mickey Thompson Radial tires that will be going on that I used on my pickup truck. But, I have to use my stock rims because I don't want to spend the cash on a new set.

I was hoping to remove the clear coat from the rims, and leave the black on there. Then, I was hoping to polish the rims. I haven't done anything like this before, so i was hoping for some guidance. Anyone have any suggestions? What is the best way to remove the clear coat? I have some chemical stripper...would that work well? Heres the truck as it sits.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

here is a thread from another member with the same exact wheels you have that polished his>> https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/stock-rims-29543/

Old 06-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Starting Member

That looks pretty good...I think I'm going to do it. Probably just sit down for a whole day and work on them all. I'll put up some pictures as I go along. I can imagine myself doing it next week.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Starting Member

Ok, so heres what i've done so far. It's probably not that noticeable in the picture, but in person the wheels look a lot brighter right now. I stripped off all the clear coat on all the wheels. It took a while, but with some chemical stripper, and then carb cleaner it came off ok. I then used some fine rubbing compound made by 3m, and polished each wheel for a while. After that, I used mothers aluminum polish. Surprisingly the aluminum that was under the clear coat was in great condition. If I do more i'll post up again, but i'm very happy with the progress so far.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:19 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

lookin good