Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Rear Axel

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:41 AM
98blazer4door is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Axel

Is the back axel shorter then the front? If so by how much and what can I do to make the back tires stick out as much on the front? Thanks in advance for any info or help. 1998 4 door 4x4.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The normal Blazer 4x4 axle is right around 2.5" narrower than the front track. The two best options to make the rear the same width as the front: Wheel spacers or replace the rear axle. 1.25" hub-centric/wheel-centric spacers are fairly inexpensive.

FYI, you could also use rims with shallower backspacing on the rear but that gets complicated for rotating your tires.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:02 PM
98blazer4door is on a distinguished road

Alrighty then sounds like I'll just go with spacers then. I don't really wanna deal all the other crap but thanks man

Old 01-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
The normal Blazer 4x4 axle is right around 2.5" narrower than the front track. The two best options to make the rear the same width as the front: Wheel spacers or replace the rear axle. 1.25" hub-centric/wheel-centric spacers are fairly inexpensive.

FYI, you could also use rims with shallower backspacing on the rear but that gets complicated for rotating your tires.
I decided to get a ZR2 Blazer rear axle that is 3.9" wider than a stock 4x4 Blazer So I assume each rear tire will stick out about 3/4" more than the fronts. I have never noticed this on any ZR2 model,but they have fender flares that conceal this.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

2004 Blazer , The Zr2 front diff is almost 4" wider than a regular blazer front diff so I think the reason you don't see it on your Z is that the front diff is still wider than the back....correct me if I am wrong . my front definitely look wider than the back.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:55 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Strangerock
2004 Blazer , The Zr2 front diff is almost 4" wider than a regular blazer front diff so I think the reason you don't see it on your Z is that the front diff is still wider than the back....correct me if I am wrong . my front definitely look wider than the back.
The front diff is the same width ( tracking ) in both models ( Blazers ) and mine is not a ZR2. ( Edit : I was mistaken ZR2 is wider up front ) The ZR2 rear axle would have to be 8" wider than stock in your scenario ! Wrong, you must have a cloned ZR2 or an axle swap has been done.

Last edited by 2004 Blazer; 01-06-2018 at 01:40 PM. Reason: My bad
Old 01-07-2017, 10:05 AM

Sorry , I thought you had a Z , and the Z front axle is definitely wider than a standard blazer axle. Hence the longer CV axles required.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Starting Member

The front differentials are a direct swap. The ZR2 rear "axle" is 3.9inches wider than stock Blazer 4x4 axle which is wider than the pickup 2 wheel drive axle. The ZR2 front axle is wider, with different axle shafts, than a stock 4x4 blazer, and the front control arms mount at a different location on the frame.

Last edited by 2004 Blazer; 08-05-2017 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-10-2017, 03:42 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Strangerock
Sorry , I thought you had a Z , and the Z front axle is definitely wider than a standard blazer axle. Hence the longer CV axles required.
Originally Posted by 2004 Blazer
The front differentials are a direct swap. The ZR2 rear "axle" is 3.9inches wider than stock Blazer 4x4 axle which is wider than the pickup 2 wheel drive axle.

The front diff itself is exactly the same whether you have a ZR2 or non-ZR2. You can swap them as long as you match the gear ratio with your rear axle. There is however a difference in track width. The ZR2 front track width is about 3 inches wider due to different control-arm mounting points. On the ZR2 the control arm mounting points are spaced out from the frame, and are lower down on the frame. Due to this the ZR2s use longer CV axles on the front.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:14 PM

I consider the complete unit to be the front diff , not just the carrier housing.....I guess terminology never changed for me when independent suspension became common . My Bad.

Strangerock

Quick Reply: Rear Axel