Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel spacers: useful or only for looks?

  #1  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:22 AM
christine_208's Avatar
BF Veteran
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moscow, ID
Posts: 2,027
christine_208 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear wheel spacers: useful or only for looks?

Hi all,

I'm now wondering if adding wheel spacers to my rear axle would be useful thing to do. My goal would be to have the rear tires have about the same width track as the front to improve the truck's stability when off-pavement. I'm not interested in aesthetics.

The vehicle to which I would add these is the one in described in my .sig file.

I've picked up from looking at other threads that adding spacers to the rear axle only does not have to be much of a problem. Also they should be the hub-centric type and thread locker is recommended for the installation of the wheel spacers.

So, are these a useful upgrade?

If yes, how thick would people recommend? I know that stock the rear axle is about 2" narrower than the front so at least 1" to each side?

Thanks,

Christine
 
  #2  
Old 12-31-2017, 07:42 AM
don james's Avatar
Starting Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: canon city, colorado
Posts: 216
don james is on a distinguished road
Default

I gave the 1.25's a try, I liked the look better, and I noticed more stability, and less rock and roll on the hiway ....My better half even noticed the difference........

I thought that maybe in the spring I might try the 1.5's.........I did not measure width with the 1.25's........but some say that 1.25 is a little less than full track??

I torqued both spacers and wheels to 100 fb when put on, and checked again after 40 or 50 miles.......they were still tight..........

I would recommend spacers only in the rear on these blazers.......just an old timer's opinion though.....:-)
 
  #3  
Old 12-31-2017, 11:41 AM
christine_208's Avatar
BF Veteran
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moscow, ID
Posts: 2,027
christine_208 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by don james View Post
I gave the 1.25's a try, I liked the look better, and I noticed more stability, and less rock and roll on the hiway ....My better half even noticed the difference........

I thought that maybe in the spring I might try the 1.5's.........I did not measure width with the 1.25's........but some say that 1.25 is a little less than full track??

I torqued both spacers and wheels to 100 fb when put on, and checked again after 40 or 50 miles.......they were still tight..........

I would recommend spacers only in the rear on these blazers.......just an old timer's opinion though.....:-)
don james,

Yes, this is the input I was hoping to hear.

I would only put spacers on the rear for the benefits you felt you gained.

As for track width, according to my 1999 Product and Order guide, the Front/Rear track width is 57.2"/55.1" so that the rear is about 2" narrower over all. I was thinking either 1" or 1.25" spacers would bring the rear track to about the width of the front.

If they are fine for the back and do help with stability, was thinking of erring on the side of going no wider than installing 1.25" thick spacers as I did not want to overly strain the rear axle bearings by increasing the length of the lateral lever-arm that would have to be supported by the bearing.

Where did you purchase your spacers? How much were they?

Thanks!
 
  #4  
Old 12-31-2017, 11:58 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 413
Tom A is on a distinguished road
Default

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 1.25" thick, unless you want to trim your studs. And make sure you use good quality billet spacers, as cast ones are prone to breakage. As you already said, they should be hub-centric. If they're also wheel-centric, that's a bonus.

I had some custom made a few years ago by wheeladapter.com (I needed adapters, not just spacers) and they were kind of expensive, but they were very well made (hub and wheel centric).
 
  #5  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:18 PM
don james's Avatar
Starting Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: canon city, colorado
Posts: 216
don james is on a distinguished road
Default

what Tom A said about being at least 1.25"...........

Here is where I got mine.......they were cheap......but hud centric and wheel centric ...........I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that might have been scrap iron if i didn't like them.......I don't have any complaints, they fit tight and work well so far.......

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Other-/4261...er%20LS%204.3L
 
  #6  
Old 12-31-2017, 12:32 PM
christine_208's Avatar
BF Veteran
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moscow, ID
Posts: 2,027
christine_208 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
I wouldn't recommend anything less than 1.25" thick, unless you want to trim your studs. And make sure you use good quality billet spacers, as cast ones are prone to breakage. As you already said, they should be hub-centric. If they're also wheel-centric, that's a bonus.

I had some custom made a few years ago by wheeladapter.com (I needed adapters, not just spacers) and they were kind of expensive, but they were very well made (hub and wheel centric).
Originally Posted by don james View Post
what Tom A said about being at least 1.25"...........

Here is where I got mine.......they were cheap......but hud centric and wheel centric ...........I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that might have been scrap iron if i didn't like them.......I don't have any complaints, they fit tight and work well so far.......

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Other-/4261...er%20LS%204.3L
Ah, great info on the size of the spacer with respect to the original stud length. That hint will save a big head-ache later.

Also, machined (not cast), hub-centric, wheel-centric spacers. Check!
 
  #7  
Old 02-13-2018, 05:31 PM
don james's Avatar
Starting Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: canon city, colorado
Posts: 216
don james is on a distinguished road
Default

I've got a couple of thousand miles on the spacers......

I decided that I wanted to do a little slot play today and my wife did not want to go, so i went alone.........the trip is 60 miles [on the paved rout] or 24 miles up what we call the shelf road..........I decided on an easy ride and took the pavement......lots of sharp curves and lots of up.............and down.......

I drove a little faster and more aggressive around the curves and through the dips and cattle guards......then i would have with my co-pilot

I have to say that with the spacers, that little blazer feels like a different vehicle........I put it through a good test today.......

I would recommend that fix to anyone who has not done it............as a safety fix more than anything.......

I was up a hundred $ and came home down 30 $..........sooo a real good day for me
 
  #8  
Old 02-13-2018, 09:34 PM
christine_208's Avatar
BF Veteran
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Moscow, ID
Posts: 2,027
christine_208 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by don james View Post
I've got a couple of thousand miles on the spacers......

I decided that I wanted to do a little slot play today and my wife did not want to go, so i went alone.........the trip is 60 miles [on the paved rout] or 24 miles up what we call the shelf road..........I decided on an easy ride and took the pavement......lots of sharp curves and lots of up.............and down.......

I drove a little faster and more aggressive around the curves and through the dips and cattle guards......then i would have with my co-pilot

I have to say that with the spacers, that little blazer feels like a different vehicle........I put it through a good test today.......

I would recommend that fix to anyone who has not done it............as a safety fix more than anything.......

I was up a hundred $ and came home down 30 $..........sooo a real good day for me
Thanks for the report. What ever I do to my Blazer, it has to be functional and these spacers sound like a good investment.
 
  #9  
Old 02-22-2018, 03:16 PM
philipfreire's Avatar
Beginning Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 11
philipfreire is on a distinguished road
Default

I put 1.5 rear spacers from BORA and they have been great. It brings the tires out and lines up with the front nicely.

In terms of performance, I have seen or felt no difference to be honest. If there is any it will be neglible.

I still recommend quality spacers if your going for the look.

Hope me this helps...



this was my thread:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/genera...spacers-38142/
 
  #10  
Old 02-24-2018, 06:00 PM
newguy's Avatar
BF Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Easthampton, ma.
Posts: 4,206
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Default

My last truck I had 2 inch in the back and 1.5 in the front. Had no issues at all
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear wheel spacers: useful or only for looks?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.