Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Rim painting question(not asking how to do it)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Starting Member
classklown90 is on a distinguished road
Default Rim painting question(not asking how to do it)

Ok so I know how to paint my stock rims but i was wondering if this can be done with them still on the car and still come out nice. I have no other set to put on the car during this process and nothing to prop the car up with without tires. If anyone has done this please tell me if it still looks good. thanks

Old 09-04-2009, 01:55 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Hmmm good question. I got the same problem, family car and we only have one.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Starting Member
two1nine is on a distinguished road

i dont see why it couldnt be done that way just mask off n spray lightly gravity will be your enemy if you dont....but if it was me id remove them its easier no worry of overspray on parts and no worry of runs if sprayed correctly

Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Just jack the truck up and do one wheel at a time. Once the wheel is dry to the touch reinstall it and move on to the next wheel. Yes it will take you longer but what's the rush?

Old 09-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Starting Member
blazer blaze13 is an unknown quantity at this point

ya you dont wanna spray the brake rotors/ pads. i would just take one off at a time.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:47 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Yeah that's true.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Starting Member

ah darn ok. you up for it Craigsnedeker lol? I guess ill have to jack it up one at a time, ill let you guys know how it works. any suggestions on paint/primer/clearcoat and sandpaper grits? i was goona use 400 then 800

Old 09-04-2009, 07:03 PM
BF Veteran

Well I need the paint. 1 can of black won't cut it, haha, and I am not going back to AA auto store to get my paint ($11 for one can).

Def use duilpcolor! The best paint for this stuff.

I'd use 400 grit, and then wet sand with 1000 grit.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Use the spare tire while the painted one dries. For something subjected to brake dust and road grime, I would want to give it as much time as possible to dry properly. Take one off to paint and put the spare on. Then you can drive around to work/school or wherever like normal. Next day, take another off and replace with the newly painted wheel. If you do it right, you can also use this as a chance to rotate your tires.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Starting Member

ok thanks man, diagrams great. and craig so im guessing you wanna do black right? im thinking gunmetal or black idk yet

Quick Reply: Rim painting question(not asking how to do it)