Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Spare Tire Lower plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 05:38 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer11 is on a distinguished road
Default Spare Tire Lower plate

Is anyone making these again? It was a metal plate with welded studs Thanks

Old 03-17-2019, 05:53 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

No idea what your talking about...

alot of companies make plates with studs welded for many different vehicles....

Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Think he means the plates that lower the spare tire on the two door carrier, so that you can see through the back glass.

I bet you could make one fairly easy. Three holes to bolt it to the stock location, and three holes with long bolts with nuts holding them in place for the spare to bolt to

Old 03-17-2019, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Actually, I was able to find one. Here is a link to an exploded diagram that shows the parts for a second generation Blazer.
https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...t/07/ts07-515/

The part number you want is 15992898. I was able to find one on eBay.

I have no idea if I will able to use it but I bought anyway in preparation for trying to install a spare tire carrier this spring.

I was not able to find the upper bracket. If you find a source for the upper one, let me know!

Old 03-17-2019, 09:57 PM
BF Veteran

Christine, are part #6 and 7 on that link the pieces that go inside the quarter panel? To brace the sheet metal?

Old 03-17-2019, 11:40 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Christine, are part #6 and 7 on that link the pieces that go inside the quarter panel? To brace the sheet metal?
Well yes and no. I think they do go inside but as you can see in the first picture below, in that Blazer, there was no bracket, just a smaller individual reinforcement for each nut. If I am able to use the bracket, I'm thinking of using automotive sheet-metal adhesive to further spread the load.

The first picture is one I grabbed off the web that shows the reinforced nuts for the upper attachment on a ZR2. (Spare Tire Carrier)

These next pictures are of the one I bought which is the lower one. I don't know what is behind the panel on the 2drs in the same location. I also have not even tried to see if I could install this or not. What you can see is that it is only galvanized sheet-metal. Also, the nuts are oriented so that they are parallel to the ground, not perpendicular to the surface of the quarter panel.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:07 AM
BF Veteran

It's bound to help, even if it's only sheet metal. I've got mine just bolted to the quarter panel, and with the weight of a 33" tire, plus a hi lift jack, it's sagging pretty bad. I'll have to rework it sooner or later

Old 03-18-2019, 09:50 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Those actually look like the stock brackets for the 2 door. When 8 removed mine, I used a sawsall and just cut them off the body, bolts and nuts included. One up top and one on the top, one on the bottom. They used that heat press to bind both metals together.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 AM
BF Veteran

I have notes from several sources of how people have reinforced their mounting brackets. The one I like the most is this one from post #540 at https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...-66048/page54/

Looking at the one I purchased I'm thinking that the surface that mates to the quarter panel can easily be used as a template for forming the reinforcement plate.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 AM
Dirtjumperrob is on a distinguished road

I believe he is looking for the square metal plate located in the 3rd photo on this site: Spare Tire Carrier

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Lower plate