Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Spare tire rack (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/spare-tire-rack-41699/)

yadadacurtis 03-04-2010 08:57 PM

Spare tire rack

I have a 99 GMV jimmy, the 2 door model. I'm looking to buy a spare tire rack so I can hang my spare on the back. Does anyone know of a place I can buy one online?

Phil 03-04-2010 10:32 PM

Did yours come with the rack originally and is now missing it? If it didn't then you'll have to reinforce the rear passenger 1/4 that the spare carrier mounts to. Looks awesome though.

blazendizz 03-04-2010 10:37 PM

you can get them at the junk yard all day long

red9line 03-08-2010 01:50 PM

Lol, If I could find em' at the junkyard all day long... Then that would be amazing. I need one for my 91 s10 Blazer 2dr. The spare tire rack was taken off and I am in need of one a.s.a.p.
So let us know if anyone can find us spare tire racks.

zedartwo 03-08-2010 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by yadadacurtis (Post 308049)
I have a 99 GMV jimmy, the 2 door model. I'm looking to buy a spare tire rack so I can hang my spare on the back. Does anyone know of a place I can buy one online?

There's also this. I think I am gonna get it and a dual receiver hitch with a plate mount winch and another hitch up front so its all interchangeable.

Sisk 03-08-2010 02:25 PM

You're probably better off going with a hitch mounted one. It would be the easiest with the least amount of work.
Phil is right...if your truck didn't come stock with one then chances are you don't have the re-enforcement needed to hold the extra weight of the tire carrier and you'd have to re-enforce behind the quarter panel.
And redline...you should be able to find one at a junk yard. I haven't seen any after market ones for sale outside of the hitch mounted ones...Especially not a 1st gen one.

red9line 03-09-2010 07:06 AM

Thanks. I actually finally found a place that dealt with just trucks. They had everything I needed. From bench seat floor brackets, bench seat belts, roof rack and molding, spare tire rack, hinged wing, center console. All for $100. If anyone is in Northeastern PA, go to Collise Truck Center. Best yet, it all came off same color blazer and year as mine. Now I just have to get a back window which will be done today.

blajeans 03-24-2010 03:05 PM

Could somebody take a pic or two on this re-enforcements? I was thinking of getting me one of those tire carrier to mount on my Blazer that today dont have one.
Is it possible to mount a tire carrier on a Blazer that doesnt have it stock?

zedartwo 03-24-2010 09:20 PM

Yea, Just the reinforcement are needed.(and very precise measurements for the bolts) I don't know that they look like but I imagine they are just thick steel plates behind the quarter panel to disperse the weight more.

Zeeke98 03-27-2010 09:16 PM

They're more than just steel plates, they're welded in place. I pulled the rack off my 92 2wd 4 door Blazer and the threaded plates stayed in place. I never pulled the interior panels off to see how it was mounted inside though. That rack is probably still in the garage attic of my ex wife's house!