Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Spare tire rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Starting Member
yadadacurtis is on a distinguished road
Default Spare tire rack

I have a 99 GMV jimmy, the 2 door model. I'm looking to buy a spare tire rack so I can hang my spare on the back. Does anyone know of a place I can buy one online?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Did yours come with the rack originally and is now missing it? If it didn't then you'll have to reinforce the rear passenger 1/4 that the spare carrier mounts to. Looks awesome though.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Beginning Member
blazendizz is on a distinguished road

you can get them at the junk yard all day long

Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 PM
red9line is on a distinguished road

Lol, If I could find em' at the junkyard all day long... Then that would be amazing. I need one for my 91 s10 Blazer 2dr. The spare tire rack was taken off and I am in need of one a.s.a.p.
So let us know if anyone can find us spare tire racks.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:57 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by yadadacurtis
I have a 99 GMV jimmy, the 2 door model. I'm looking to buy a spare tire rack so I can hang my spare on the back. Does anyone know of a place I can buy one online?
There's also this. I think I am gonna get it and a dual receiver hitch with a plate mount winch and another hitch up front so its all interchangeable.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:25 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

You're probably better off going with a hitch mounted one. It would be the easiest with the least amount of work.
Phil is right...if your truck didn't come stock with one then chances are you don't have the re-enforcement needed to hold the extra weight of the tire carrier and you'd have to re-enforce behind the quarter panel.
And redline...you should be able to find one at a junk yard. I haven't seen any after market ones for sale outside of the hitch mounted ones...Especially not a 1st gen one.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:06 AM
red9line is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I actually finally found a place that dealt with just trucks. They had everything I needed. From bench seat floor brackets, bench seat belts, roof rack and molding, spare tire rack, hinged wing, center console. All for $100. If anyone is in Northeastern PA, go to Collise Truck Center. Best yet, it all came off same color blazer and year as mine. Now I just have to get a back window which will be done today.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:05 PM
blajeans is on a distinguished road

Could somebody take a pic or two on this re-enforcements? I was thinking of getting me one of those tire carrier to mount on my Blazer that today dont have one.
Is it possible to mount a tire carrier on a Blazer that doesnt have it stock?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Yea, Just the reinforcement are needed.(and very precise measurements for the bolts) I don't know that they look like but I imagine they are just thick steel plates behind the quarter panel to disperse the weight more.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

They're more than just steel plates, they're welded in place. I pulled the rack off my 92 2wd 4 door Blazer and the threaded plates stayed in place. I never pulled the interior panels off to see how it was mounted inside though. That rack is probably still in the garage attic of my ex wife's house!

Quick Reply: Spare tire rack