Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

stems

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:55 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stems

i went to get my new tires mounted on my blazer yesterday, and one of the guys working there gave me a set of valve stems. they are much shorter than a normal one, the are about 3/4' to 1'long, they re almost invisable and look much better, just wondering if there are any down sides to having these? and ho much doesa set cost? becausehe just handed them to me

Old 08-11-2007, 04:25 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: stems

They dont cost much at all, usually they are included free with a tire purchase and mounting from a tire shop. Dealerships tend to charge between $.50 and $2.00 each, just cause it is something else they can sell you and make money on.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:27 PM
bigbill23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Working in the industry i can tell you that yes we do charge for them, however we dont make any money off of them. The only downside that i know of is that it can be a pain in the a** when u go to check your pressures, other than that your in good shape!

Old 08-12-2007, 11:42 AM

i knew they couldn't cost much ut want sure of the down sides, figured they would make it harder to check the pressure, if thats all then i think im in good shape

Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

We also charge for them.
Stems are usually selected based on need. They only need to be long enough so you cna check and fill up the tires. You can get chrome covered ones, steel ones, long and short rubber ones, all for about the same cost. The only thing I highly recommend you do, is replace them everytime you get new tires. Seen enough leaky stems in my time. Nothing worse then saving $8 in new stems to only pay $20 for one new one when it finally does leak and needs to be replaced. And if you have to do all four, your looking at $80 for valve stems. Your call. Pay the $8 now, or pay 10 times that amount later.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:34 PM

yea i always put new stems in when i get tires thanks for the info just wanted to meke sure about them