Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Tire Dimple???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 AM
chvygirl84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tire Dimple???

Hello all,
I noticed last weekend a tire dimple on both front tires on the side wall, NOT the treadand I have a VERY small leak (well, big enough that i have to re-fill with air every 2-3 days). I just have a couple of questions about this - first, what causes the diples?
second, do I need new tires, or is there some way to fix it?
and last, How long and at what speeds can i drive, safely that is?

Thax all

Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tire Dimple???

Is this "dimple" only at one location on the sidewall of the tire? Does it seem to extend from the rim to the tread? If so, then it is likely where the cords overlap inside the tire. I have had many tires which had a visible indentation simply due to tire construction.

As far as your leak, you should get that looked at. Running tires improperly inflated could cause them to blow out unexpectedly.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:01 AM

The dimple, or ripple is along the sidewall (horizontally) and is about the size of a finger (maybe a bit smaller) - it's weird that it's on both front tires, but not rear. I have "General" tires all around and haven't changed since I've owned (Dec. 07). I am planing to get 2 used tires soon (maybe a week?) but am sort of scared to drive on these in the meantime.
I just noticed it too so I have no idea how long it's been there. Also, about a week or so ago I noticed the truck starting to pull very badly and shake in excess of 55 MPH - related possibly???

Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, since horizontal changes as the tire rotates, if you had to choose, which statement matches the "ripple" you are seeing? Does it go from the tread to the rim or does it run along the sidewall in a circle?

A slight indentation where the layers of the tire overlap is generally ok, but if the layers have started to separate, it would cause a vibration.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 AM

Sorry - it def. runs along the sidewall in a circle. I cannot tell if it's started to seperate - no cracks or anything, but I do have a leak, so it's possible. The tire was patched about a month ago due to me running over a nail. Perhaps it just needs another patch.
I'm going to try and make it for another week then get a good set of used tires ot put on there. Thanks for all your help Kyle!
I hope you are right!! [&:]

Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

An indentation that runs around the sidewall is not good.. The vibration at higher speeds has me concerned as well...

Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM

Oh, I thought a dimple around the sidewall was okay. So, what can cause this to happen?
and what your saying is that I need to replace the tire, pronto?
I have a full-size spare that I am able to replace it with, but not one for the passenger side - for another week or so.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

No, what I was saying is that one that runs in a straight line from the rim to the tread is somewhat normal depending on the construction of the tire. One that runs around the entire sidewall is an indication that the tire is starting to separate. I would put the full size spare on for that tire and try to drive it as little as possible.

Could you snap a picture of what you are talking about and post it?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 AM

I looked at the tires again on my lunch, and I was wrong about the way the dimple runs. it is running from under the tread toward the rim (but not as big as I originally stated). I guess I was just so worried I exaggerated the size. Anyway, it also appears the leak is coming from a "loose" plug from when I ran over a nail. I also checked all the tires and 3 of 4 have the same dimpel runnignthe same way, so I assume it's just normal for the seam of the tire as you said before. I'm going to have my husband take the truck back to where we had it plugged and see if they will repair for free and hopefully that will take care of the leak.
As far as the dimple, or ripple for now I'm just going to drive it as minimal as possible until I can have a repair shop take a look. I guess it's a good thing we already decided to buy 3 used tires to prepare it for winter. Thanks for all your help!