Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:08 PM
quinnman105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tires

I'm wondering what are good tires for a 4wd 4dr blazer? 23570/R15. I am interested in A/T, What ever is good for snow/rain/dry blacktop

Old 11-10-2007, 12:15 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Tires

there area lot more options ofif go one size up which would be 235 / 75 / 15. they will be about 1 inch more in diameter.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:26 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah if you go to a P or LT 235/75R15 there are a lot more options and your speedometer only reads 1 mph slower than normal (example: speedometer says you are going 60, you are actually doing 61-61.5 mph). Since these tires are about an inch taller in diameter, it means your truck will get a 1/2inch lift from the tires and they will still fit perfectly fine on a stock 4x4 blazer.

I got BFG All Terrians in the LT235/75R15 size and they are awesome. I have not yet been able to break them loose except if I stomp on it on gravel. They have handled well so far in the 1,000 miles I have driven on them. Also from what I have heard and the fact that they have the severe winter conditions "snowflake" symbol on the side they should do well in winter. I will be testing that out soon enough in the UP. I think I got all 4 tires, with road hazard, installation and balancing, free flat repair/replacement, free lifetime rotations, roadside assistance (from BFG I believe), old tire disposal, and tax for $550. So far I believe that to be worth every penny, plus they make the truck look very aggresive/off road looking compared with the stock highway allseason tires.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:29 PM

I heard thet u need to your speedometer recalibrated if you do do that. Thats what my buddy had to do. Is this true?

Old 11-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Starting Member
YepIOwnA97Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: quinnman105

I heard thet u need to your speedometer recalibrated if you do do that. Thats what my buddy had to do. Is this true?
you dont have to get it done, like lennyblazer said your speedometer will just be a few mph off.

I have been looking at some General Grabber AT2's for my truck. They look just like BFG's but are about $40-$50 less PER tire. Do not mistake the AT2's for The original AT's, which people have had hoorible results with.

General AT2's vs. BFG AT's

Generals on a blazer

on a liberty

i think they look cool but i dont have a set myself so you will have to do your own research and see what you find.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:44 PM

You dont have to because it is only off by 3% or less, but you have to be aware that the tolerance most police use is +-5% which means you might be lucky not to get pulled over if say in a 65mph speed zone if your blazer says you are doing 66 with those tires cause really you would be doing like 68-69, so I would think they would pull you over for that. The other thing is that for every hundred miles you drive according to your odometer you really went ~103 miles so your odometer reading will be slightly off and your speed will be, but as long as you know that you can keep yourself safe. Speedometers only have to be within 5% i think it might be 7% I can't remember.

So in summary, no you dont have to but you could. What I would do is, if its in your budget and something you want to do (cost benificial), is to get one of those Hypertech power programmers. This would allow you to get some gains in gas mileage, engine performance, and what not plus correct your speedometer since you can enter in your tire size and it will correct the speedometer and odometers (only from then on, you cant roll back mileage or anything since that is illegal). Just some thoughts.

EDIT: I looked at the generals but decided I would rather have the BFG's. The BFG's have a deeper tread, have a better name and more experience (for lack of a better word). Also I am not sure where the Generals are made but I know the BFG's are made in the good old U.S. of A. Just my thoughts on them, I have no idea what the ride differences are or the tire life vs. cost is or what their differences in performance offroad/in snow are.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:53 PM

How much do the BFG's go for? Where can ya get them at

Old 11-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Its in my original post, but most places carry them for between $125 and $140 depending on which size you get, LT vs Passenger tire and if you get a sale or not. Mine were $137.50 each including all the services listed above and taxes in WI (5% sales tax). They are carried by many places, ranging from Wal-Mart to custom tire shops, to local mom and pops shop, to places like midas and dealerships. I would just call around and ask for total price and what services you get at a bunch of different places and find the cheapest with the best service/reputation. Also look through the newspaper and local advertisments for sales. Right now is the ending timeframe for when tire shops have good tire sales since the beginning of winter is coming. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:47 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

General Grabber AT2's or YOKOHAMA GEOLANDER AT/S's I have them both and love them equally. I dislike BFG just due to the fact that the tires dont last long and wear alot faster then the two I have. I have tried them as well as rugged trail's and countless other street/strip models from previous vehicle.

Id go with a 30x9.5x15.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had an excellent experience with Dunlop Radial Rover A/T tires. Great combination of on and off road traction, quiet running, great in the snow as well. Also, these tires were on my old '94 Ram for 40k miles before I sold it. Lasted an additional 25k miles before the new owner replaced them.

Quick Reply: Tires