Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Tires leaking pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:56 PM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tires leaking pressure

My tires are standard size for a '96 Blazer. They're Widetrack Baja A/T and they're great tires. The problem is the front 2 tires have been leaking pounds of pressure on me. I took them to my mechanic about 3 months ago, he checked them for nails, nothing. So we filled them up to 35 pounds and they did great for about a month. I checked the pressure for about a week and they stayed at 35. Pretty soon I started noticing the buldge at the bottom of the tire again, but I left it alone. Weeks go by, and the tires are looking bad. They're buldging enough that when my brother or dad passes by, they stop and say, "Those tires are looking low on air". So after hearing that enough, I check the pressure. I'm down to 25 pounds. When I turned my wheel, the tires would bend and stick to the road. So about a week ago I took it right back to my mechanic and refilled them. He checked them out again and I filled them up. Yesterday I'm at the shop again with my dad because of another problem, and of course they both look at the tires and say they look like they're losing air.
One thing I noticed is the front driver side tire always seems to lose more pressure, and the back tires are fine.

So I've pretty much come to the conclusion by now that it's not the cold that's doing this to my tires, because it's only been happening to the front 2 tires and happening more than once. I'm afraid these tires are gonna start damaging my rims.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tires leaking pressure

You have a leak somewhere. If you have a tub big enough, fill it with water and submerge atleast half of the tire, looking for bubbles. Flip and repeat. If you see bubbles, mix up some soapy water and spray it onto the suspect areas. If you narrow it down to the bead area, then you'll have to have the tires taken off the rims. Have the bead area cleaned with a wire wheel. Then have them slather on some of that sealer stuff before they put the tire back on. If there are no leaks in the tire itself, this should solve the problem.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:37 PM

Yeah, thank you for that info. My dad said he was gonna get the beads checked out. I guess that means my mechanic should be removing the tires anyway, and I'll tell him to look for cracks or holes.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

wow! coincidence......was just thinking of posting with the same problem. only i checked it today, and it was at 11 pounds lol
guess ill have to go get er cleaned up. think ill skip the soapy water part tho......would freeze solid in 15 minutes lol

might as well get a rotation while im at it.....

Old 12-09-2007, 10:09 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I use one of those little hand spray bottles. I mix a little dish soap and water and spray it on the tire. Take the valve cap off and spray a little on the valve also.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 PM

The leak is so slow I don't even think I'd be able to find any bubbles, if there even is a hole.

And 11 pounds? You lost 11 or you were down to 11? Hahahaha.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:45 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

was down to 11 probably not good.....tons of tread left....hope its not a hole.....I seem to refill it every week or so.....only...I cant find a decent public air compressor.....I was at petro freezing my hands off for a good 6 or 7 minutes for like 10psi, maybe theyre all freezin up too haha

Old 12-09-2007, 10:56 PM

11psi would be good if you're trying to climb a mountain haha.
My mechanic has a good pump. I put 10 pounds in in about 45 seconds.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road
Default not your tires check your rims

gm vehicles especially blazer were notorious for leaking from the rim. Gm even posted a TBS showing how to solve the problem. Submerge in water tank and look for small air bubbles. mark with a grease pencil. and then use a special sealant silicone inside the rim. (requires dismonting of the tire from the rim btw)
hope it helps.
Mine does the same thing. i believe im better off lookin for a pair of ford ranger wheels at a junkyard. lol

Old 08-06-2009, 07:17 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Way to dig up a 1 1/2 year old thread.

Quick Reply: Tires leaking pressure