Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

What is the ULTIMATE snow tire for New England driving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:41 PM
coldsteel2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation What is the ULTIMATE snow tire for New England driving?

Hello Gang,
I MUST have a new set of tires for my 1991 Blazer ASAP! Can we come up with a list of the TOP 3 tires for me (and the Forum) to pick from please? I will need a set of 235/75R/15 all the way around.
I have read all the postings on tires, but have found nothing on the BEST winter tires. PLEASE help ASAP.
Thanks for your imput,
Philip

Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i personally like the Hankook Winter I*pike, but have just installed a set of Firestone Winterforce (due to cost), which were refered to me by a mechanic friend of mine. has had a set on every truck he's owned for the last 8 years, luv'd their performance, and none of his trucks were 4WD (says he never got stuck with them).

i had the Blizzak's on before, but found that they were way too soft for the amount of driving i do (toasted after 2 Winters). grip was unbelieveable, but not worth the cost of such a short life span (aprox. 60,000 km).

Old 12-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Starting Member
butters is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a pair of almost new commerchial basically mud terrains for sale in your size, NH to. if your interested, i can get some pics. buy two of these new and my two and you save a bunch and have a great set of tires

Old 12-31-2009, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The best winter tires you'll find are tires that are specifically made for winter. Such as Blizzaks and so forth. Best bet is to get a second set of rims for your winter tires.

You could also look into studs.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:16 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

I'm also running 235x75x15 and currently loving wildcat radials. Similar to a mud terrain tire. Sounds like butters might have a deal worth taking.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:26 AM

AJBert,
I agree, its BEST to have a second set of tires just for winter driving. I will be doing just that this month.
Thanks,
Philip

Old 01-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

I've been running dedicated snows for about 12 years now on a spare set of wheels. I've ran Blizzaks but they're expensive and don't last very long. I've been using Firestone Winterforces now for about 6 years and love them. They last much longer than Blizzaks and have exceptional deep snow traction. They give up a bit on ice due to the full rubber compound vs the foam rubberish compound of the Blizzaks. Winterforces are also about the cheapest snows you can buy too.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Zeeke98,
So between the Blizzaks and the Winterforces which ones would you choose if you had to have to best possible snow tire? I do plan on changing the tires back to a summer tire after the last snow.
Sounds like you lean towards the Winterforce tire.
Philip

Old 01-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

Winterforce because they last longer and if you have long periods of no snow and dry roads, they hold up better. The Blizzaks get ate up when you drive a lot on dry pavement. If you have a lot of ice, Blizzaks are better. I give up a little on ice traction for longer wear and cheaper price with the Winterforces.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:00 PM

Zeeke98,
Thats it then, a set of Winterforces will be on my Blazer by next payday (Friday).
Thanks you for your input and the help from the others as well.
Philip

Quick Reply: What is the ULTIMATE snow tire for New England driving?