Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wheel Locks

I just got a 2003 Blazer and it has the sweet wheels and I don't want them to get stolen. I was at my local auto parts store this afternoon and a saw some wheel locks, but there are so many that I just can't tell which ones would be the right ones for my car. Any one have wheel locks? Price is a premium by the way.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Wheel Locks

I wouldn't recommend them UNLESS they are PREMIUM locks. No powdered metal sockets and none of the ones that have a face lock. You want ones that have a key'd design on the outside of the cylinder. I have this type on my Bravada even though I really can't stand them, but they came with the vehicle. Mine came with a forged steel socket and the perimeter lock.

One thing to make sure of is that you antiseize the crap out of the wheel studs. This will reduce the wear on the socket. If your socket wears out, then you either have to hope that you can get something to grip to remove it or you have to have someone cut them out, which will probably ruin your rims at the same time.

If you live in an area where rim theft is a problem, then I can understand your interest, but if not, I wouldn't bother with them.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:04 PM

I live about 5 miles from Detroit Michigan, so it really isn't a huge problem, but I really think I should get some. You definately eliminated any future questions I may have had about instalation, but unfortunately that doesn't help me yet. I still need to know which ones fit on the 03 Blazer.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, sorry. I believe they should be 12mmx1.5 Conical Lug Nut w/ Tapered Seat... Atleast that's what Advanced Auto's site says for your 2003 Blazer.

I'm trying to track down some links to some good ones for you.
The ones that are on my Bravada were purchased from the originating dealership and installed before the vehicle was originally delivered (when new).

*EDIT* - Nevermind - Confirmed as 12mmx1.5... GMPD.com has a wheel lock kit. Here's the kicker - it's $172!!! LOL

Old 11-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Administrator

This is an example of what NOT to get:
McGard Mag Shank Lock

Old 11-23-2005, 11:19 PM

Well thanks a lot for you knowledge, but to be honest with you, i don't see myself spending 172 bills on lock nuts. I really appreciate your advice, but the rims aren't extremely desirable, they're the stock aluminum alloys, but they're in good shape, and i'm sure they're worth some money, and i think the ones you showed would be suitable to my liking, making it more difficult to lift my rims. because a theif can get through anything, all that security devices do is delay them, which they hate, which is all i'm looking for. Again, i really appreciate you getting those numbers. By the way, what exactly is antiseizing? I'm only seventeen, and this is my first car, but i absolutely love it.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Oh I wasn't suggesting purchasing the lock set from GMPD.com. That is just insane. You can pick up a decent set of 4 key'd lugs for around $20. You just need to make sure to get ones that have either an external key or an internal key and not a face key like the ones I linked to above.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:49 PM

Cool, thanks. What is antiseizing?

Old 11-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Damn sorry, forgot to put that in the last post. Antiseize is a paste that you apply to the threads. It is basically a long life lubricant to keep the lug from seizing onto the stud. I apply antiseize to every stud each time I pull off the wheels on any one of my vehicles. Not only does it keep the lugs from seizing on, but it also allows a much more even torque to the lugs.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:58 PM

Sounds good, i can remember helping my older brother crank the lugs off his old car, haha. So you're saying somthing like this? http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products...image=5862.jpg

Quick Reply: Wheel Locks