Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Wheel Tech Help

Old 07-27-2010, 08:26 PM
lombard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wheel Tech Help

So I've got a line on a decently priced set of ZR5 wheels off a crew cab S-10. Haven't looked at them yet, but the seller claims "inner rim on 1 wheel is slightly bent but wheel was checked with roadforce wheel balancer and passed system tests". Says it's on the inside so you can't see it.

Without knowing more, I'm hesitant to even look at them (he's a bit out of my way). There's more to wheels than balance. Worried the bend could cause problems with leaks/seal with the tire. I also don't know anything at all about wheel repair.

Overall, I'm inclined to pass. It is a good deal. Any suggestions on what to be concerned with?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:13 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Pick 'em up if they're that good of a deal. Wheel repair can't be prohibitively expensive, especially for a wheel as good looking as the ZR5.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I hit a curb quite a few years ago in a '76 and cracked both rims on the driver's side on aluminum alloy rims. Much to my surprise, they never lost air nor balance. I drove on them for another 3 years until I sold the car.

With that said, if the price on the set is that good and just the one rim ends up being unrepairable you can always find another single rim to replace it.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Pick 'em up if they're that good of a deal. Wheel repair can't be prohibitively expensive, especially for a wheel as good looking as the ZR5.
Originally Posted by AJBert
...........if the price on the set is that good and just the one rim ends up being unrepairable you can always find another single rim to replace it.
agreed.

you'd be amazed what damage to a wheel will still hold air-and deive without any issue.

now to find that pic of my little brother's smashed RX wheel........................

**edit***
ok, i' was only ably to find one shot that (kinda) showed the damage. the wheel/tire was on the car when he bought it, and they passed it through the safety like you see it. he did not do the damage himself.

Last edited by old skool luvr; 07-27-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I'd say do it if it is a good price. I mean worst comes to worst is you can always buy another zr5 rim which would still be cheaper than buying 4 new

Old 08-01-2010, 05:58 PM

Well, I went for it. $200

Old 08-01-2010, 05:59 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

You stole those suckers!

Old 08-01-2010, 06:06 PM
BF Veteran

those look almost perfect except for the minor scratches on the one wheel

Old 08-01-2010, 06:35 PM

Yeah, the picture makes that one look worse than it is. I do have to track down a decent price on two new center caps though.

In any case, they're not getting installed for quite a while. Going to hold off until next spring...that's when I'm doing the 2" body lift and moving up to 31" BFG's. I'll either polish them myself or get them reworked by a real wheel shop.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:51 PM
BF Veteran

sounds like a good plan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Tech Help