Website Problems and Suggestions Need help using the website? Ask here. Have a suggestion to make us better? Tell us here.

Image Posting... PLEASE READ!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 PM
dlippiet is on a distinguished road

I know full well this is a very old thread, but I figured I'd throw some of my tech knowledge up here for people wanting a free application that can do just about anything photo shop does and will work on NY computer, no matter the operating system (ie Apple OS X, Microsoft Windows, And Linux/ Unix)

If you don't know anything of image editing there are forums dedicated to help you along the way

The name of the program is GIMP

just do a google search and it'll bring it right up

I've used it for years, I like it way better then photoshop

Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I just updated the first post to include a somewhat current review of online photo sharing sites.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 PM
94_Blazed is on a distinguished road

The fact that this site won't allow you to just upload a regular picture that's taken from a normal digital camera is a joke. I never have a problem uploading on other sites such as facebook. The pictures aren't THAT big. Having to download a third party program like photobucket and still having to download another program to resize the picture is a HASSLE! I would suggest the people who run this site to fix this problem cause it honestly makes people want to just go to a different forum that makes this process so much more user friendly. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Photobucket or any other online host is a simple and smart thing to do with your photos. Anything uploaded to one of these services can be used anywhere else on the web.

The limits on file upload size are there for a reason and that is to save on server space and bandwidth requirements. Resizing photos can be done with easy to obtain, free software with very little experience. The level of "computer knowledge" required is minimal and resizing overly large resolution pictures is just proper "web etiquette".

The software currently does resize automatically, but there does seem to be some sort of time-out where slower connections may limit out resulting in an error. I have put in a request to have this looked at.

If such a simple thing causes you to go somewhere else... Well that is your choice.

Anyway, the information above isn't difficult to comprehend or use and once the methods are down, it isn't really a hassle.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Starting Member
ZR24U is on a distinguished road

I'm a newbie and that really helped. Thanks!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road

Still trying to figure out avatars!

-OSS

Old 09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I've used photobucket for years and only have two gripes. Lots of times pics I upload go to less than 640x480.. maybe I miss something obvious. ALSO.. if you rearrange your pictures and albums after the fact, any links you made to those pics are broken. That's why you see so many 'image removed' boxes on blogs and forums. That is not necessary if the site indexing had been done right but hey...

I just started using imgur, it's been around a long time but i must not have liked it back then. Now I like it becuase it allows drag and drop image upload. Just reduce the screens for your explorer, and be able to see both directory and imgur window, pick your files and drag them across onto the imgur pane. It does the rest.

For you guys that would like a FREE simple image/graphics package that works pretty much intuitively, I suggest
XNView
{That's Cnet so it's fairly safe}
It's available for just about every OS from Win2000 on up, incl Mac and linux.

It's bonus strength is that it thumbnails and plays video files, ... Depending on what codecs your OS can support. I use Win2000Pro still and plays avi, wmv, mpg
as well as offering basic stills editing such as red-eye, rotate, resize, add txt. And simple effects

It uses a pretty standard explorer type interface which means you can go out to your camera or SD card and select and pull as well as edit right in camera / sd memory. As long as the camera or card looks like a drive.

It takes a little playing to find out what it can do ..
I just discovered ADD TEXT after 4 years of using it!!! It's real basic but it works without a bunch of fiddling.

And ALSO:
Xnview does BATCH picture file Resizing. And does it easily.

It also allows screen caps. But has to be actively running at the time. Sorta clunky, but easier to use once you made the capture than 'screenshot captor'

And best of all it's pretty non-intrusive, doesnt suck up all your resources like stupid camera-included apps. Talking about YOU, Kodak!

I also use Picasa {but not much.. pain in the *** cause it goes into search mode for every image file on PC when it starts and tries to guess how you want to group and arrange your photos. Basically does it whether you want them grouped or not}.
The best exposure fixing I've seen yet, though, is Picasa. Not that I've looked around a lot but if you need to fix a picture because it's too light or dark, bring out background detail.. etc.. it's real easy.

I use screenshot captor for screenshots, and Macromedia's Fireworks for layered graphics.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-14-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Beginning Member
george154302 is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread but my avatar is a gif and it doesnt spin. Its on photobucket and when I try to download the url to here it says invalid file. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Starting Member
bonillajr1995blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

new member not sure what to do here. Having problem with an oil leak. Im thinking it could be the oil cooler,gasket, or oil cooler lines,need some good enexpensive reliable advice on how to replace or repaire the problem.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Beginning Member
Jimmybeatergal is on a distinguished road

Ugh what am i doing wrong? I go to the garage to upload a photo and takes me to my computer documents/pictures. Click on the picture i want to upload and says upload fail. I dont know how to upload with photobucket when i have to add a picture off my computer. Not sure if that made sense. Am i missing something?

Quick Reply: Image Posting... PLEASE READ!