Website Problems and Suggestions Need help using the website? Ask here. Have a suggestion to make us better? Tell us here.

Making a post with pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:56 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road
Default Making a post with pics

How come pictures are a requirement for making a post? A lot of common items shouldn't require them and if a person needs a pic then they should just be able to contact the seller and request one. Seems kind of silly to have to use a third party site to host pics just to make a post. Some folks such as myself like to give a more personalized response to a prospective customer.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eshaw
How come pictures are a requirement for making a post? A lot of common items shouldn't require them and if a person needs a pic then they should just be able to contact the seller and request one. Seems kind of silly to have to use a third party site to host pics just to make a post. Some folks such as myself like to give a more personalized response to a prospective customer.
Pictures are required so prospective buyers can see the actual item(s) being offered (condition, quantity, etc.). If you have a lot of small items, a general overview shot of all of them laid out on the floor or table is all that is necessary. This is a pretty basic requirement that should be easily accomplished by uploading the photo in the forum itself, not requiring a 3rd party photo host. If you are parting out a vehicle and have not removed items, then you can at least start with a picture of the vehicle itself & list off what you have. When someone requests specific items you can either post in that thread or PM the member with a picture if you'd like. I would suggest that multiple pictures of the general area of all items being listed in a part-out situation be posted in the original post just so anyone that is thinking about buying the item can see if it fits their need. This is just as much to help the seller as it is to help the buyer get what they are looking for.

As to the reason for the rule, I'm not going to justify it beyond saying that is how it works here. The rules are clearly explained. You don't have to agree with the rules, but don't complain when your posts get deleted because you are not following them. There are many other places that have similar requirements and I'm sure more than a few that have more lax requirements. Regardless, if you want to use this forum, you have to abide by the rules.

*Moving to Website Problems and Suggestions* - The For Sale / Trade section is for sale of items only.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:58 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Personally, as a buyer of ANYTHING online, especially used items, I simply WON'T buy it unless the seller posts photos. GOOD CLEAR photos of the item, not pictures that look like they were taken 20 feet away with a flip phone camera from 2001...

Old 02-27-2019, 07:10 PM

I thought the rules stated you have to use a 3rd party which I find cumbersome. I stand corrected. If I can directly upload pics to the forum that is what I prefer. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:27 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Seemed like in the past you had to use photo bucket, etc for pic posting. But now you can post pics directly to the site.

Was that feature added recently, or am I mistaken?

Old 02-28-2019, 11:30 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Seemed like in the past you had to use photo bucket, etc for pic posting. But now you can post pics directly to the site.

Was that feature added recently, or am I mistaken?
As far back as I remember you have been able to upload a photo directly from your computer.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have always been able to upload to the forum. Way back, there were pretty severe restrictions on photo size for upload that needed to be met. The external host recommendations came about after several issues of losing the photo database screwing up every post with uploaded photos. That really isn't much of a concern anymore, but none of us have had the time to rewrite all of the posts that mention using photobucket or similar sites.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:05 PM
BF Veteran

Hmm. I can't remember if it was this forum, or others I used to frequent that I had to jack with photo bucket. Hated trying to figure that out lol.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:26 PM

Is there any place in particular that a person should make a TEST post with pic?

Old 02-28-2019, 02:52 PM
BF Veteran

I'm not a mod or anything, but I would think here in "website problems and suggestions" would be appropriate

Quick Reply: Making a post with pics