1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 s10 Blazer transfer case issue???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 AM
Beginning Member
Rusty&Trusty is on a distinguished road
Default 93 s10 Blazer transfer case issue???

I have a 93 s10 Blazer with the electronic-shift three-mode New Process model NP 233 (2HI-4HI-4LO) transfer case with an automatic transmission.
4x4 works great but slips for a brief second and then grabs hard when starting out in 4LO and whenever hitting the gas hard. In 4HI it works great(no slipping) but when the front tires are turned all the way to the left or right it starts grinding and makes the truck stop until the gas is pressed or wheels are straightened out then it's fine and when cruising down the road in 2HI or 4HI there is like a intermittent braking feeling I have since removed the front drive shaft and now it doesn't do the grinding when the tires are turned but it still slightly does the intermittent braking feeling I thought it was the front differential or CV axles but had them checked out by a mechanic and are solid and working great. the noise is coming from the transfer case everything engages and disengages great . The blazer runs and drives great as is but I would really like a reliable transfer case before the snow flies.Do I swap the transfer case out for another? and if so is a 2000 SR1 s10 Blazer transfer case the NP233? and will it work if it is? or do I need a NP233 transfer case from a 93 and older?

Last edited by Rusty&Trusty; 11-07-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Beginning Member

Really!! nobody can give some helpful advice?

Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

might be worth pulling the back case half off the transfer case. might be a bearing failing. does it have oil in it?

Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Beginning Member

yeah full

Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

It could be the U-joints. And when in 4wd you don't wan't to crank your wheels unless your on snow! If your on pavement of course your truck isint going to wanna move. And are you putting it in 4lo when in neutral? Also have you checked your vacuum lines with a tester? you could have a bad switch or bad lines, just a thought.

It could also be your brakes grabbing and going bad. Check your u-joints then check your brakes.

Last edited by bertrenolds; 11-07-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:36 PM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

First off, dont stomp the gas in 4lo. The ratio is too high and your trans wont shift that fast and all that torque isnt good for components, i belive the "slip" your referring to is it shifting, be easy on it in 4lo!!! Second, the truck isnt supposed to have the wheels turned sharply with 4x4 engaged. These transfercases arent even supposed to be engaged on dry pavement. Offroad or snow/ice conditions only. Turning the wheels sharply will make things bind up, 4x4 on dry pavement will cause damage to the transfer case. There is more drag on the system as a whole when engaged. As far i see, other than the braking feeling in 2hi everything is working as intended.

Last edited by AndrewO1991; 11-07-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Beginning Member

brakes are all brand new and all the U joints are brand new too I just don't understand the braking feeling the transmission had a HD overhaul 2 years ago
4x4 works great other than the braking feeling??

Old 11-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by bertrenolds
It could be the U-joints. And when in 4wd you don't wan't to crank your wheels unless your on snow! If your on pavement of course your truck isint going to wanna move. And are you putting it in 4lo when in neutral? Also have you checked your vacuum lines with a tester? you could have a bad switch or bad lines, just a thought.

It could also be your brakes grabbing and going bad. Check your u-joints then check your brakes.
it will only go into 4lo when in park and I don't stomp on the gas like pulling up a slight incline it slips but only in 4o

Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

sounds normal to me. the braking feeling is because of all the extra drag on the truck, got a extra axle spinning. and its also normal for the truck to basically hit the brakes when turning in 4x4 unless you are in some really low traction like mud or ice. with the tires turn the back tires are trying to go faster then the front and causing a binding.

if it did it when you were going straight its possible you may have different size tires from front or rear or different axle gears front and rear

Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

First off, forum rules state that you must wait 24 hours of not getting a response to bump your own thread.

Quick Reply: 93 s10 Blazer transfer case issue???