1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 s10 Blazer transfer case issue???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:30 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

Take off the rear diff cover and inspect it. If it checks out then hey you just changed your diff fluid. Have a feeling you may find something there.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 PM
bam_9_9_9 is on a distinguished road

yea they all have that much play in it. my 93 and 94 did the same thing when you spin the one tire when there both off the ground. and you would hear a loud clunk from the rear when you put it into gear if there was alot of play in it.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rusty&Trusty
when I jack the rear end up off the ground I can grab the passenger side tire and spin it back and fourth a good 5 or more inches before the gears grab and start spinning the other tire the opposite way Im thinking that much play is not good?
5" of travel on the face of the tire isn't bad, there is play in the transmission, T/C, splines, gear lash etc that has to be taken up before it will rotate the wheel the other direction.

Try this. Put the transmission in neutral, then jack up ONE side of your rear axle and spin that tire with the other still on the ground. There should be a little resistance and a slight noise from your transmission/transfer case area(kind of a steady whirring sound if i recall), but it should spin easily. If you have a factory locker and spin it too fast it will lock the clutches and stop the tire. What you are looking for is any type of inconsistent resistance or noise from the differential area. In mine i felt a slight clunk at what seemed like random intervals when i spun the tires described.

If its been a while since you changed your gear oil, it would be a good excuse to do so and take a close look and eliminate it as a possibility anyway.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:03 PM

did you get this figured out?

Old 11-16-2012, 03:43 AM
Beginning Member
Rusty&Trusty is on a distinguished road

The rear axle had super clean gear oil in it and the gears looked great.
Im gonna jack up 1 tire with the trans in neutral and do the tire spin and see. otherwise I have no fricken clue what could be causing the intermittent braking feeling. I've had 4 other s10 blazers a 87,89,98,99 and never had this issue until this 93

Old 11-16-2012, 06:36 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

Does thia braking feeling happen with ur foot on the gas? Coasting? Can it happen in neutral? While turning?

Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rusty&Trusty
The rear axle had super clean gear oil in it and the gears looked great.
Im gonna jack up 1 tire with the trans in neutral and do the tire spin and see. otherwise I have no fricken clue what could be causing the intermittent braking feeling. I've had 4 other s10 blazers a 87,89,98,99 and never had this issue until this 93
if the gears looked good, there's no sense jacking up the rear.

maybe transfer case as you first thought. might be worth taking a look. have you changed the oil in the transfer case? might have tell tale signs in the oil if a bearing or gear has failed.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
bam_9_9_9 is on a distinguished road

i kinda had a braking feeling coming home on the highway the other day. came home and since i never checked the transfercase fluid on this 94 i popped the FILL plug and had a oil pan to catch 3 Quarts of tranny oil. it was 3qts over filled. the front input seal in the transfer case goes bad and over a long time it overfills the t case. anyway on the highway it felt like a whooo sound and you could feel it kinda. and felt like it was braking idk. but ever since i popped that plug its never done that again. i have a video of it here when i remove the fill plug.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by AndrewO1991
Does thia braking feeling happen with ur foot on the gas? Coasting? Can it happen in neutral? While turning?
the braking feeling is the motor if I hold the gas pedal steady while driving it does it bad and as soon as I let off the gas it stops There is no check engine light could it be the tps?

Old 11-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by bam_9_9_9
i kinda had a braking feeling coming home on the highway the other day. came home and since i never checked the transfercase fluid on this 94 i popped the FILL plug and had a oil pan to catch 3 Quarts of tranny oil. it was 3qts over filled. the front input seal in the transfer case goes bad and over a long time it overfills the t case. anyway on the highway it felt like a whooo sound and you could feel it kinda. and felt like it was braking idk. but ever since i popped that plug its never done that again. i have a video of it here when i remove the fill plug. Transfer case overfilled 94 S10 Blazer checking fluid level - YouTube
I checked the transfer case fluid along with tyranny and rear differential they are all at level and clean

Quick Reply: 93 s10 Blazer transfer case issue???