1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Kill Switch and Oil question!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 03:41 AM
ATP
ATP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kill Switch and Oil question!

(94 S10 Blazer 4X4)

Have not been on here in a little while hope everyone's doing well. I have a simple question, and would like some opinions if there are any.

I figure a kill switch is the most assuring method to know when my trucks parked without being started for a while it will not drain.

How would I go about doing this? What exactly do I need to purchase? I'd like it so I could just flip a switch on the dashboard, and then poof, no current. I want it to last, don't want anything frying or something. I am aware my radio presets (good thing I don't have one) and my PCM would be reset every time, I do not care.

Also, to keep it all in one thread...my trucks been sitting, not getting driven daily for like 3 years, should I change out all the fluids just so when I do get this thing mobile it's not using 3 year old lubricants even though they have not been driven with? Just to be safe?

Thanks a ton to all who help! The internet has taught me a lot, but nothing beats actual people ON the internet haha.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 AM
SilverTalon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Kill Switch and Oil question!

As for the "kill switch", just look around for what's known as a "Battery disconnect switch". This is the most popular way to do what you are looking to do, and they are also quite cheap and easy to install.

As for your fluid question... a motor sitting for 3 year without being started or at least turned over every month or so can seize up which will have you rebuilding the motor, or at least changing out the rings. Just turn it over for a few seconds, or start it and let it run for a couple minutes to get the oil back up to the top of the motor to recoat the parts. Change your oil every 6 months or so to keep the moisture that it will collect from damaging anything. Before you start driving it again, change EVERY drop of fluid in there. Change out the power steering fluid, front and rear differential fluid, transmission fluid, and motor oil. Also do a full cooling system flush and refill with a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water.

You'll also want to replace the spark plugs, wires, distributer cap and rotor button. Check your vac lines or just replace them, the hose is cheap. Blead your entire braking system with new brake fluid starting with the right rear. Check your brakes and rotors/drums, as well as your calipers and wheel cylinders for leaks.

Having a vehicle that has been sitting for 3 years is bound to have dry-rot on some of the parts. Check everything over quite well and don't be in too big of a hurry to get it back on the road. Rushing through the check will cause you a LOT of headache in the future. Just think of everything that CAN dry-rot and check it. When in doubt, replace it with new or rebuilt.