1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

What water pump to buy? Blazer 1993

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Gio
Beginning Member
Gio is on a distinguished road
Exclamation What water pump to buy? Blazer 1993

Friend moved to USA and left me Blazer and could use some help - so here I am

Don't know nothing about this car but need to buy water pump.

This is the car I have:

Blazer
1993 (I think)
4 dr
4,3L - carburetor (no Vortec) actually it has also installed LPG now
Automatic transmission
4x4 with electronic transfer case
Digital dash
Big square headlights (one on each side - no 4)
Black leather interior
European version (bought in Swiss)

Any idea what Blazer I have? I couldn't find any information about it.
Need to buy water pump and can't take any chances. The shipping from USA is expensive plus the custom (duty) will also charge something. So please if anyone has the answer, I am all yours......

Let me know if you need more info to established what exact water pump I need to buy. New or rebuilt?

Also if anyone has any idea best place to buy it from? Need to ship to Czech Republic!
Looks like this one except mine is white:
Dash looks like this:

Both pictures from G - I will take mine later (the car is in garage now).

BTW: the car starts and run great!

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Gio; 11-12-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Ok,few tips first off. "4,3L - carburetor (no Vortec)" you dont have a carburetor. its a "electric" style carb. it had 2 big injectors over the top of it. its called tbi (throttle body injection).

as for the water pump,you need this one.
GMB 130 1620 Water Pump | eBay

its on ebay. and i even went through the trouble to see if they ship to you and they do,from my end the cost is roughly $85 american,which is $1710 republic. (thats your cost,including shipping and import fees)

Its high,but its the cheapest ive found. Hope this helps.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Gio
Beginning Member
Thumbs up

Wow,

"THANK YOU" Chris - that's a big help. You are fantastic !

I will also talk to my buddy in California. Now we have the exact pump and number he can buy it and then send it as a gift or whatever. Or I'll just buy it and be done with. I already talk to him today so I just bounce it of him first....

Again - thank YOU very much!

BTW: thank you for the TBI clarification
I also found one bit cheaper at: GMB 130-1620 Engine Water Pump | eBay

Just in case...

Last edited by Gio; 11-12-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:32 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

no problem.

I see the link,problem is 99% wont ship it to you since its a pain. Unless you can find cheaper that i missed,my links about the best you can do.

Also,if i were you id go ahead and buy a fuel pump if you can save on shipping and import fees. its going to go out,blazers enjoy them like candy. Do not buy ANYTHING but ac delco or delphi brand,if you dont you'll be swapping one out once a month. might as well kill the weak points to avoid spending more money later.

edit : here is the link to the exact pump.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AC-DELCO...f9c518&vxp=mtr

and they ship to you too. about the same cost as the water pump. If you ignore the link and look elsewhere make sure its ac delco,as they list the part number you need (ep386) even though its a trash pump. idea is to find the ones with the pic of the pump with the box,which will be blue and say ac delco.

Last edited by chris015; 11-12-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Gio
Beginning Member

I hear you. Sure good info to know....
GMB is good brand?

BTW: does the same pump fits all these vehicles
GMB Water Pumps | Search result

TIA

Old 11-12-2013, 03:42 PM
BF Veteran

i have no clue who gmb is,Probably no better then the water pumps are the stores,as 99% are rebuilt anyways. Only things NOT to cheap out on are fuel pumps,ignition control modules,idler arms,ball joints and wheel hubs. anything else,go for it.

sad really,ive had so many of these darn things LOL.

edit : if that application list is the water pump link i sent you,then yes. Only differences ive found in our pumps is some vehicles has a heater core hose that runs off the pump to the heaters core. Some doesnt. MOST pumps come with a cap,or the nipple. if you have a hose going into the pump,as long as the new one has a cap you can reuse your fitting on the new pump.

Last edited by chris015; 11-12-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:56 AM
Gio
Beginning Member

Good to talk to guy who has experience and the same car.

I send all the links about the pump to my friend in USA (previous owner) and he send me link to this pump. Saying that is the pump I need. Can you check that and tell me what do you think?

Duralast New CWP 715HD Water Pump Duralast Water Pump | eBay

Regardless, I will go to the garage and will take complete photos of the one I have and we will have better idea. I am really nervous. Don't like to trow away $85 and waste 2 weeks.

TIA

Old 11-13-2013, 07:22 AM
BF Veteran

thats the same style as the link i sent you,the difference is your link wont ship to you. mine will lol. if you were in the states it would be different,and cheaper.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Not to confuse anyone .... just an FYI:

All 4.3 water pumps will fit all 4.3 engines from '87 to '05 - the TWO differences between 1st gen and 2nd gen are the pulley (one is a V-belt, and one is serpentine) and the fan clutch style (one mounts with 4 bolts, and the other, just one large nut in the center). There is also a V- belt and serpentine style that both use the 4-bolt mounting of the fan clutch - that setup would be easier to swap back and forth. The different style pulleys change the distance from the engine the belt runs, so changing from one to the other is not easily possible.

All the bolt holes are the same on the blocks of 1st & second gen engines - only difference is 1st gen is SAE threads, 2nd gen is metric. Everything will bolt right up from one to the other - you just need the hardware .. and on a second gen you;d have to remove a stud or 2.

Again, just FYI for those who want to know. Buying the correct pump for your year-model is the easiest way to ensure a bolt-on-and-go setup with no modification.

Last edited by Smitty Smithsonite; 11-13-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Gio
Beginning Member

Thanks Smitty.
BTW: I have the serpentine 3 miles long belt, going up and down, left and right

Well, am kind of lost already. More I read and look more confusing the damn thing is.

Different brands, different numbers, the pulling or pushing type - Ohhh man.

I just uploaded some photos of my pump to: Blazer - Blazer

Hope it will be clear enough to see what exactly I have.

I don't have that hexa bolt like some have like the one on one the photos -does it matter if get one of those?

Sure would like to finish this ordeal.....

At this time it doesn't matter if they ship to Europe or not - I just need the exact pump, then I will decide on the next step.

TIA

Last edited by Gio; 11-13-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: What water pump to buy? Blazer 1993