2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

01 leaking coolant from a hose,what is this hose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Beginning Member
86TransAm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 01 leaking coolant from a hose,what is this hose?

Hey guys,thanks ahead of time for any input you can give me.

I have an 01 Blazer leaking coolant.the coolant is pooling up under the blazer on the rear drivers side of the motor.when I tried to see where it was comming from,well no way to tell from that view.when I put coolant in the rad I can hear air escaping and it looks like it is comming from a hose that goes into the intak on the front drivers side,goes to the back of the motor under the upper rad hose,this hose had a braided cover over it and looks like it runs down the back of the drivers side of the motor.what is this hose and where does it go??

Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could you take a picture and post it?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Beginning Member

def hard to see BUT if you look close you will see a hex head fitting that goes into the intake manifold,this is the hose that goes to the back of the motor and is leaking.the hose that looks like it has duct tape on it is actually the upper rad hose,almost right where it fits onto the t-stat tube.

Attached Thumbnails 01 leaking coolant from a hose,what is this hose?-hose-002.jpg  
Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I can't make anything out from the picture. Sorry

Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member

here are some more views of the hose in question.remember the hose with what looks like duct tape is the upper rad hose that goes to the t-stat.the hose that is leaking goes into the intake manifold by way of a hex head fitting,that end is not leaking.this hose runs along the drivers side valve cover and then down behind the engine to who knows where.thats the end that is leaking.I went to Napa today in the little town I live in and had the one guy I really trust there look at the hose in question.he could not tell me what the hose was for nor could he find it in any of his books.he def agreed that the leak was def more than likely comming from the end of this hose where you just can not see it.we def think this hose is whats leaking b/c of the location of the one end coincides with where the water is running out under the blazer and also the water leaks out immidiatly after filling the radiator without the motor running at all and the engine is not at any kind of operating temp,just outside temp.

the first pic I am pointing at the fitting of the hose.the 2nd pic is of the fitting with a birds eye view.the 3rd pic you can see the upper rad hose(silver sheath covering on it) and under the upper rad hose you can see the bad hose dircetly under the silver sheathing of the upper rad hose.

Attached Thumbnails 01 leaking coolant from a hose,what is this hose?-hose-001.jpg   01 leaking coolant from a hose,what is this hose?-hose-003.jpg   01 leaking coolant from a hose,what is this hose?-hose-004.jpg  

Last edited by 86TransAm; 04-20-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Beginning Member
Milfmaster is on a distinguished road

from your discription and pic, it looks like the EGR tube to me, it's supposed to be recyling exhaust gas, not coolant. are you sure it's leaking coolant or is it pooling around the intake connector in which case it might be your intake gasket starting to leak.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Beginning Member

the egr tub though wouldn't be a rubber hose though would it? the hose I am thinking is leaking is almost all rubber except for the fitting on the end of it that goes into the intake manifold.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Beginning Member

sorry if i'm wrong, but your original post said braided cover, your pics show a hose with what looks like a braided hose with a 7/8 fitting, i thought that was the EGR tube going down to the exhaust manifold. but if it's rubber it's not the EGR tube.

Last edited by Milfmaster; 04-20-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Beginning Member

here is a great pic of the hose I am talking about.see the hose running along the valve cover.that def goes to the exhaust manifold.CRAP i suppose I have a leaking intake gasket

Attached Thumbnails 01 leaking coolant from a hose,what is this hose?-%24-kgrhqf-ime1n2w1ye-bnfyrq-7fw%7E%7E_3.jpg  
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Beginning Member

maybe, my intake gasket leaked on top right around that fitting. if it is, get a metal reinforced gasket. it will be worth it.

Quick Reply: 01 leaking coolant from a hose,what is this hose?