2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 s10 blazer driveability problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Starting Member
RMBlazernut is on a distinguished road

fuel filter is not leaking..how do i test for the pump in the tank.

Rick

Old 01-25-2014, 10:28 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Not that the fuel filter is leaking, you need to test the pressure at either the fuel filter, or at the pump itself.

If it's leaking down, it could be one of two places; either the regulator in the manifold, or the pump itself could be not holding pressure.

Testing at the filter or pump removes the regulator from the equation. The pressure tester should be hooked up in such a way that all the fuel flow stops at the tester. With the key on, this should give a reading of about 80 psi or so. If it holds pressure in this configuration, the pump is good, and the the problem is in the manifold. If it drops pressure like this, the pump is the problem.

You might need to run to home depot or similar and pick up a fitting or two to adapt the tester to the fuel filter or the pump. The ones I've rented didn't have anything to connect to either.

Last edited by cleburne red; 01-25-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:38 AM
Starting Member

OK I understand now..that was throwing me for a minute..this blazer is on hold until spring..I live where we get lots of snow and this year its been really cold and. not laying in the snow to do this test..lol I do have a backup blazed to drive until then..When. startup again I will post my results..thank you all so much form your help..you game me direction on where to go.

Rick

Old 01-26-2014, 09:11 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

No problem! It's good you have a back up, I wouldn't want to lay in snow, either!

Old 01-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Sometime next May or June, when the snow is almost gone, pick up one of these: Buy Needa Parts Steel Fuel Line Repair Kit - 3/8" x 4" with 16mm Clip 800-170 at Advance Auto Parts= It will connect to the forward end of the fuel filter, (outlet). Attach a piece of 3/8" fuel injection rated rubber fuel line to the adapter. From there you'll need to do some "creative plumbing" to connect the line to your tester.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Sometime next May or June, when the snow is almost gone, pick up one of these: Buy Needa Parts Steel Fuel Line Repair Kit - 3/8" x 4" with 16mm Clip 800-170 at Advance Auto Parts= It will connect to the forward end of the fuel filter, (outlet). Attach a piece of 3/8" fuel injection rated rubber fuel line to the adapter. From there you'll need to do some "creative plumbing" to connect the line to your tester.
If I get a day above 32 degrees I will perform this check I got the adaptors to do it yesterday

Rick

Old 01-30-2014, 07:33 AM
Beginning Member
nitetrucker is on a distinguished road

I have a 95 blaze also just had to do a FPR and nut kit on mine. took longer than expected cuz my hand went numb from cold but not that hard

Old 02-13-2014, 06:52 AM
Starting Member

Ok got to do the test..it hold 61 pounds of pressure before the fuel filter for over 10 minutes

Rick

Old 02-13-2014, 10:46 AM
spittybays

There's nothing I hate worse then I truly inconclusive test. Tell me the exact method you used to test this.

The proper opening of that regulator is exactly 61lbs.

Coincidence scares me. If the pump is actually running at 61 psi its failing.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Starting Member

I took the line off the fuel filter where it goes into the filter. I then used adaptor to screw onto the line.I hooked the line up to my fuel pressure tester. Cycled the key.guage went to 61 pounds and held there..when I hook it up to the port by the regulator it goes to 61 pounds then falls to 0 in 3 minutes.

Rick

Quick Reply: 95 s10 blazer driveability problem