2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Brake problems 95 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
theeviltwinn is on a distinguished road
Default Brake problems 95 blazer

Hi All.

New blazer owner and car repair novice.

I just bought a 1995 Balzer LT 4X4 at the auto auction. It has a few problems but the price was right. I'll try to fix them one at a time.

The first problem I have is the brake lights don't work. Fuse and bulbs are good. All other lights work. Nothing when I step on the brakes. How do I procede fixing this?

Another thing is when I had the bottom of the dash apart looking for a loose wire I can hear an air leak that changes as I move the brake pedal. I assume this is the brake power booster leaking. Is this a replace or can it be fixed? How serious is this? Can I live with it for a bit? The brakes work OK now.

Money is tight as I lost my job and vehicle this summer. I just need this car to get by until I get back on my feet. I don't want to put a lot of money into it and need to do as many of the repair myself as I can.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mike

Old 08-24-2009, 12:07 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

check for power at the brake light switch with a test light with the key on and brake pedal pressed, also check for power at the rear brake light wires

Old 08-24-2009, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

No power at the rear lights.

Where is the brake light switch and what does it look like?

Mike

Old 08-24-2009, 01:06 PM

The switch is at the top of the brake pedal.. will have to remove the lower dash panel to get to it

Old 08-24-2009, 02:19 PM

Thanks

I found it. It was just kinda hanging there not connected to anything. I can turn the lights on and off by hand but there is no way to connect it to the brake pedal. Looks like I need to get a new one.

As far as the air leak in the power booster. Is it a real safety hazard or can I live with it as long as the brakes still work?

Thanks again

Mike

Old 08-24-2009, 04:01 PM

Not sure what you mean about an air leak?as long as your brake pedal doesnt fade(go to the floor) you should be ok, ck the brake fluid level.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:14 PM

OK, I'm not sure what the air sound I hear is.

The brakes work and don't fade. I can sit with my foot pressing on the pedal and it stays put. I hear what sounds like a small air leak that begins when I start the car. If I move the brake pedal, in and out or side to side, the air leak gets louder or quieter. When I shut the motor off it makes a hiss like something is bleeding off air for a second and then stops.

Any ideas?

Mike

Old 08-24-2009, 06:43 PM

Check the big vacuum line and grommet at the brake booster for any cracks...the hose connects to the back of the intake and you may be hearing vacuum leaking.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:19 PM

Thanks

I'll check it out tomorrow.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:57 PM

ok, I'm back. Had to work today. (yea for me!)

I got the new stop signal switch but for the life of me I can't figure out how it attaches to the brake pedal. There is the main body of the switch which the wires attach to. Then on one side there are two wings. One has a hole in it. The other has a slot. The part that activates the switch is between the two wings. The hole and the slot line up. It looks like it might slide over the brake pedal arm but how does it attach? On the brake pedal there is a hole a little below where the pedal attaches to the push rod. Does the switch attach there? How? Am I missing something? The old switch was just hanging loose so It was no help.

If someone could post a pic or a link it would be a big help.

I also checked out the air leak. It is a vacuum leak confirmed by a smoke test. Everything is fine under the hood. The leak is around the boot that covers the push rod that goes to the power booster. What is the best way to fix this?

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by theeviltwinn; 08-26-2009 at 05:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake problems 95 blazer