2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

B1001, BCM and SDM questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:06 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve
Default B1001, BCM and SDM questions

Ever since I swapped BCM's to gain keyless entry in my Blazer, my airbag light has been on. I pulled the codes with the Tech2 at school and only B1001 came back. Upon researching it, I came to the conclusion that the BCM isn't seeing the same VIN in the SDM that it is programmed in the BCM. Anyone think it'd be possible to just swap in the SDM from the donor truck as well. That's what I get from reading this. The donor Blazer wasn't wrecked and the airbags weren't deployed. Thanks!

DTC B1001
Diagnostic Instructions

• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptor

DTC B1001: SDM Option Configuration Error

Circuit/System Description

When the ignition is first turned ON, the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) compares the restraints ID stored in the SDM to the restraints ID stored in the body control module (BCM). The restraints ID being compared contains the last four digits of the SDM part number. The SDM then compares the vehicle identification number (VIN) stored in the SDM to the VIN stored in the BCM.
Conditions for Running the DTC

Ignition voltage is between 9-16 volts.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The restraints ID stored in the SDM does not match the restraints ID stored in the BCM, or the VIN information stored in the SDM does not match the VIN information stored in the BCM.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The SDM commands ON the AIR BAG warning lamp via class 2 serial data. • The SDM disables all AIR BAG deployments.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC

• You issue a scan tool CLEAR DTCs command. • The restraints ID that is stored in the SDM matches the restraints ID that is stored in the BCM.
Diagnostic Aids

DTC B1001 is an indication that the restraint IDs stored in both the BCM and SDM do not match or that the VINs stored in both the BCM and SDM do not match. If the BCM was replaced, the replacement module will have to be reprogrammed for proper operation.
Reference Information

Electrical Information Reference

• Circuit Testing • Connector Repairs • Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections • Wiring Repairs

Circuit/System Testing

1. Ignition ON, use the scan tool to request SIR DTCs. Verify that DTC B1001 is set as current. ?If DTC B1001 is history, clear codes and recheck.
2. Using the scan tool check the BCM that is programmed with the VIN. Verify that the BCM is programmed with the correct VIN number with the vehicle VIN plate. ?If the BCM has the wrong VIN number, refer to BCM in Repair Instructions for programming.
3. Using the scan tool perform the Setup SDM Part Number into BCM procedure.
4. Ignition ON use the scan tool to clear the DTCs. Verify that DTC B1001 is cleared. ?If DTC B1001 was current replace the SDM.

Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.
• SIR/SRS Wiring Repairs • Control Module References for SDM and BCM replacement, setup, and programming

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 10-18-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 AM

Well it worked. No more airbag light.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good. If it did not work, the next thing you would be doing is going to the dealer to have everything that you added programmed with your VIN.

Glad it worked out the way it did. You might want to add this info into your DIY RKE thread.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:01 PM

That's what I was dreading. I went over every wiring diagram for the donor truck and my Blazer looking for differences and only found 1 or 2 minor ones. Hopefully they don't activate whe I'm driving one day.

edit: I guess those differences I found made a difference. It seems that I've lost my DRL's and AHL's. Now, every time I start the truck, the headlights automatically come on. That's an even trade for me though. I've got airbags again and still somewhat have DRL's and AHL's. I don't have to turn on the headlights when it gets dark, still, and I've got lights that automatically come on during the day. Hopefully that's the only probs I've got.

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 10-19-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:48 PM

One last update.

I put the Tech2 on it and cleared a few U-codes. Drl's and headlights almost work normally, now. The only problem I've got is that the drl's turn off when I use my blinkers, then come right back on. Until I use my blinkers again. I've combed over enough wiring diagrams to make my head spin. Going back and forth from the one for my truck and the one for the donor truck. Anyone have any ideas about that one? Thanks.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The DRLs turning off whenever your blinkers are on is a "feature" on some of these trucks. Completely normal. My 2000 Bravada did this and it drove me absolutely nuts!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 AM

That makes sense. Its just kind of weird that it started after swapping in the air bag module.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 PM
greety12 is on a distinguished road

Hi, new to the forum, just purchased a 98 blazer. I have checked with my local dealer and i do not have keyless entry, so i was looking to swap my bcm and srs. The question i have is when you swaped your bcm and srs was it from the same year and if so do you know if i can use a 2000 year model on my 98.thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 11:05 AM

Mine was from a '00 Jimmy and it worked perfectly. At least make sure they look the same before you plug anything in.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:47 PM
greety12 is on a distinguished road

I would like to find a bcm and srs, can you find me one. O and I have one more question where was your srs located. And thank you for respoding so quickie it's a big help.