2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C ACCUMULATOR question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:13 PM
airmaxx28 is on a distinguished road
Default A/C ACCUMULATOR question

Its a 97 blazer 4x4 4 door. My problem is I have freon leak coming from the valve you put the freon into on the accumulator. Now my question is, is there a way to just replace the valve or do I have to replace the accumulator and if so how do I go about replacing the whole thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated seeing how I live in fporida and its 90 degrees s

Old 05-29-2010, 07:29 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I am not sure if the valve can be replaced or not but to replace you need to evacuate the system, back off the lihes, disconnect the low pressure switch and remove accumulator. You should also see if there is any oil inside the old one by pouring it out and measuring and pour the same amount of oil in the new one. Lubricate the O-rings with oil (Refrigerent Oil). Once you have it installed the most important thing if you want cold A/C is to pull at least 29 inches of vacuum before charging with freon. If the system is already empty just remove the old one install the replacement and have an A/C shop evacuate and recharge.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:49 PM
airmaxx28 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mr.vls
I am not sure if the valve can be replaced or not but to replace you need to evacuate the system, back off the lihes, disconnect the low pressure switch and remove accumulator. You should also see if there is any oil inside the old one by pouring it out and measuring and pour the same amount of oil in the new one. Lubricate the O-rings with oil (Refrigerent Oil). Once you have it installed the most important thing if you want cold A/C is to pull at least 29 inches of vacuum before charging with freon. If the system is already empty just remove the old one install the replacement and have an A/C shop evacuate and recharge.
Thanks for your fast response, i just have a few more questions how would i go bout pulling vacuum and how can i tell if the system is empty

Old 05-30-2010, 06:45 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

A set of gages hooked up can tell you if the system is empty or you could just crack the line open. You need a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum. The pump will connect to the gage set and connects to the center hose of the gage. Open the low side valve to the low side of the gage and run the pump. The main reason for the vacuum is to remove all moisture from the AC system. You, could just crack the llines for the Accumulator and let the system vent. Install your new accumulator and have a shop charge the system. The shop will pull a vacuum prior to filling with correct amount of new refrigerant .