2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dash lights, CD/Radio illumination not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Beginning Member
bama1fan is on a distinguished road
Default Dash lights, CD/Radio illumination not working

I have a 2002 Chevy Blazer Xtreme automatic 4.3 V6 with 50,000 miles.

My dash lights, CD/Radio illumination and auto gear shifter lights in the floor stop working. When my headlight turn off my CD/Radio illumination come back on.

My door switch illumination and my dome lights work alone with my exterior lights (head lights, parking lights, fog, tag, brake and blinkers lights).

I notice they had stop working before, then they started working again, now they stop working!

Could this be in a ground or switch that is bad? Can someone give me directions on how to check and fix this problem? Thanks!

Edit:

PS. I thought I would add something that I noticed. When I have the radio on and I turn the dash light dimmer switch up and down, I hear static coming from the radio. Seems like to me it might be a bad switch or wiring. Anyone else thinks it is something different?

Last edited by bama1fan; 05-14-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I think it could probably be the ground of the switch your best bet would be to check wiring.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Beginning Member

I hope you don't mind, but I'm "bumping" this thread back to the top. Still need some help!

Old 05-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Beginning Member

Bump!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:27 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Have you gone through the dash and checked for ground connections to be good and undo them and clean them up while you are at it... I like to put a little dilectric grease on any of my electrical connections when I tinker with them.

Static in the music is a sure sign of a crappy ground. I dont own a second gen, but im sure someone here can tell you where the body grounds are for the dash, it should only be a couple spots not millions.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a bad dimmer switch.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys for the info! I'm hoping it's a easy fix, like replace the light/dimmer switch. I can get one from Autozone for around $40.00. I will try to check this weekend!

As far as checking the ground, I don't know where to look. Does anyone have pics or instructions on how to look and check for bad grounds. I would like to do this myself without having to take it to a auto repair shop.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Beginning Member

I found out what was wrong with my dash lights! There is diffidently a short in the dimmer switch that turns the dome light on and off and dims the dash lights. When I turn the dimmer switch to the almost on position for the dome light, the dash lights started working! I have to turn the switch on that little bump just right for the dash lights to stay on. I'm going to replace the switch this weekend!

Thank you everyone here in the Blazer forum for your help!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Beginning Member
99cbsuv is an unknown quantity at this point

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I too have a similar problem with just some of the the issues listed above.
My dash lights work except the illumination for 4 x 4 switch ( does show I am in 2-wheel drive, dim yellow light ); but nothing else is illuminated to show where the other buttons are at night . This is the 4 way switch. I have checked all the fuses and connections but found nothing amiss.
The other issue I have is with the radio/cd player illumination. I have clock and station I'm on in the box window to the right of the radio controls; but none of the pre set buttons light up or in fact any of the radio/cd switching controls. It's all dark with the headlights turned on at night. The radio/cd player function as should except I have no rear sound coming from the speaker. I have checked fuses and wiring and again found nothing to be amiss. I am stumped.. any ideas?