2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Starting Member
Sorell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No Odometer

Hey guys,

My odometer just went out, no flickering or anything just went plain out and hasn't turned back on. Should I be changing a light bulb or is there something else to the odometer?

Thanks

Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default RE: No Odometer

Try pulling the guages out and check the wiring harnes on the top. To do this you have to remove the dash panel. I belive there are 3 screws holding it on 1 above were the guages are, and 2 on the bottom they arre covered up by the lower panel so that also has to be removed. There are four screws in that. After you remove the screws the panel should pull off. Then remove the 4 screws holding the guages in. You will then be able to pull out the guages to chech the harness. Befor you do all of this you might also want to check your fuses im not sure if there is one for this or not. Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Beginning Member
rob2129us is an unknown quantity at this point

my 2000 blazer did the same thing. The speedo worked good no jumping or anything, then all of a sudden nothing. I replaced the vehicle speed sensor and still nothing. Sounds like this might be a common thing. It is a 2000 s10 2 door 4x4

Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Starting Member

It's a 2001 s10 Blazer 2door 4x4, but after looking into it some more, and actually thinking more about it. I just had my amp installed on saturday, noticed theodometer wasn't working anymore on sunday, then I look underneath the guages to start pulling it apart and it's missing a bunch of the screws, which were all there a month or so ago... angry time. Almost 100% sure it's the wiring to it now; I've gotta look into this crap a little more here before I post stuff

Thanks alot guys

Old 04-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Starting Member

So I've checked the wiring harness and everything else I could check back there, nothing seems to be wrong... any other ideas?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:33 PM
bossman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

I am not sure if this is the problem, but I had the same issue with a 1998 Buick Regal. Maybe you have a similar problem?

http://www.regalgs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31452

Old 04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Starting Member

Thanks man, I'll give that a shot in the next few days, never would have thought about those

Old 04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Beginning Member

I have narrowed down the no odometer syndrome lol. I put a cd player am/fm radio out of my 96 into my 2000 blazer the connecter was a perfect fit then no speedometer. I unhooked the radio and the speedometer is working again. Maybe Swt can help us thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how much this is going to help you guys as much of the diagnostic requires the use of a Tech 2 or equivalent, bi-directional scan tool...

Odometer Inoperative:

Diagnostic System Check - Instrument Panel Cluster

A Diagnostic System Check - Instrument Cluster

TEST DESCRIPTION
The number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the diagnostic table.

2. Lack of communication may be due to a partial malfunction of the class 2 serial data circuit or due to a total malfunction of the class 2 serial data circuit. The specified procedure will determine the particular condition.
3. There may be DTCs stored in other class 2 modules related to the instrument cluster.
4. The presence of DTCs which begin with U indicate some other module is not communicating. The specified procedure will compile all the available information before tests are performed.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Beginning Member

swartllk i think this is what i am looking for. When i click on the printouts i can read the top one, but the bottom is too small to read. I do have access to a scan tool. thanks

Quick Reply: No Odometer