2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 blazer hesitates after start up..HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Banned
DAVEHILLIKER is on a distinguished road
Question 99 blazer hesitates after start up..HELP!!!!

JUST BOUGHT A 1999 BLAZER..DROVE IT HOME ABOUT 120 MILES AND IT RUNS GREAT BUT AFTER I START IT UP IT HESITATES PRETTY BAD..NO MATTER IF ITS WARM OR COLD..IT ONLY DOES IT FOR A MINUTE THEN ITS FINE BUT IF I SHUT IT OFF AND WAIT 10 MINUTES AND START IT BACK UP IT DOES THE SAME THING...I DID A TUNE UP ON IT JUST CAUSE THE PREVIOUS OWNER SAID IT NEEDED ONE AND IT DIDNT SEEM TO HELP..I DONT THINK ITS A FUEL ISSUE CAUSE IT ONLY DOES IT FOR A MINUTE BUT I MIGHT BE WRONG...EVEN IF I PUT THE PEDAL TO THE FLOOR THE RPMS WONT GO OVER 2K AND IT WILL ONLY GO MAYBE 10 MPH.....ANY HELP OR INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 AM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

i would check the fuel pressure anyway since its easy. Is the Service engine soon light on? might be timing issue possibly.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

yea its on because the cat was bad but i cut it off and put in a straight pipe but i kept the stock peice with the o2 in it so the location of the sensor never changed...ran the codes n all it say is the cats bad...i actually just unplugged the MAF and it ran great so i removed it and i am cleaning it rite now..it was pretty dirty/full of carbon...i will check the fuel pressure...the oil pressure is sumtimes low also..i have reciepts that the guy gave me showing a chevy dealership down in ohio changed the oil pump,main bearings, and some other stuff about a year ago..all together he had about 3k done to it on the one visit...i only paid $900 for it off ebay..i will post pics asap..i pretty much stole it from him...hahaha

Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 AM

MAF could definately make it run bad if its dirty or malfunctioning. good thing is you can drive with it unplugged to see how much different it is, but it will affect your fuel mileage.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned
Thumbs up

I soaked it in brake cleaner for about 30 minutes then scrubed it lightly with a 1'' paint brush and put it back in and it don't hesitate atall..I'm gonna do the same with the EGR ...I posted sum pics..its a 2wd but I'm gonna put a small lift on it and rims n tires...wont he doin ne extreme off roading but I love the look...thanx for your help

Old 06-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Beginning Member
new2zr2 is on a distinguished road

You soaked what, the MAF?

Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by DAVEHILLIKER
I soaked it in brake cleaner for about 30 minutes then scrubed it lightly with a 1'' paint brush and put it back in and it don't hesitate atall..I'm gonna do the same with the EGR ...I posted sum pics..its a 2wd but I'm gonna put a small lift on it and rims n tires...wont he doin ne extreme off roading but I love the look...thanx for your help

no prob, glad your getting it figured out.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by new2zr2

YES THE MAF...only to the top of the opening

Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Beginning Member
new2zr2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks I'm trying to do the same right now.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by new2zr2
Definitely not the best way to clean a MAF sensor. Read this thread.

Quick Reply: 99 blazer hesitates after start up..HELP!!!!