2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 4x4 Chevy Blazer Alternator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Beginning Member
AlexS is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 4x4 Chevy Blazer Alternator Replacement

Hey guys, so after my last post, decided to get my transmission rebuilt and decided that I am going to take the best care of it in general now. My alternator is squealing (already replaced idler, tuner, and belt. Can hear it if I turn the alternator by itself). My question is: what alternator do I replace it with? I checked out o reilys and they were asking me clock position, what amp, etc... I have absolutely no idea. It has power locks, windows, A/C, the good stuff. Manual seats. Anyone know what I'm supposed to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I get my blazer back this Friday and plan to do some work to it over the weekend.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Starting Member
sky_blazer is on a distinguished road

just take the old one off and take it up there they should know that stuff or be able to look it up

Old 11-11-2014, 12:31 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

Stock alt is CS130D I believe. Putting in a AD244 with a 1" longer belt is a better idea. That squealing is the alternator bearings.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:28 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

If you plan on offroad lights or big stereo etc, an ad244 from the junk is what you want. Stock alt is 100 amps i think, an ad244 is 145

Old 11-11-2014, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Not to hijack too much, but other than the belt, will the ad244 bolt right up, without modifying anything else?

Once I can figure out where to put it, I want to put in a second battery, and a little more juice from the alternator would be nice.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:11 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

yes it will

Old 11-12-2014, 05:30 AM
Beginning Member

Yea I know the squealing is the bearings of it. No, I don't plan on doing anything special to it other than using it as a daily driver and moving my belongings from apartment to apartment when I move. Ok, I'll just take my old one off and take it in. Another question, I noticed that they all looked different. Like mine had an extra housing that they didn't. Does that matter? Or can I just take the housing off my old one and put it on the new one?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:45 AM
burned is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AlexS
Yea I know the squealing is the bearings of it.
Just making sure. Sounds like you were replacing things to get rid of that noise.

Got pics of your alternator? You talking about the black cover at the back?

Old 11-13-2014, 04:51 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the video, haven't watched all of it but probably the first half. Really informative. I don't have any pictures of it right now, I'll get it back from the tranny shop on tuesday next week so I'll get some pictures of it sometime next week. What I was talking about is like an extra bracket that is on top of the alternator that new ones don't have.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

You can also get a DR44G alternator, which is just a different version of an AD244 and it will still bolt right up. Make sure you get one with a 4 pin connector and not a 2. The voltage regulator can be swapped out but they aren't cheap and it is kind of a pain.

Quick Reply: 2000 4x4 Chevy Blazer Alternator Replacement