Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Swap early 2002 radio for late 2002, troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Beginning Member
skygodtj is on a distinguished road
Default Swap early 2002 radio for late 2002, troubles

The platform: early 2002 (10/01 build) 4.3Vortec, 4dr LS.
The oem radio: 1.5din Delco AM/FM/CD, pn 15071662. mfgr 10/01.
The mission: install late 2002 2din Delco AM/FM/CA/Cass/RDS, pn 15091317, mfgr 5/02 (part was an option for my VIN).
Addtn'l parts: Scosche GM1583B, Metra 71-2003-1 harnesses, Bravada DD console.

Old radio pulled, Scosche and Metra harnesses on hand.. dash frame adjusted to fit the DD radio (fits nicely really), tho it sits 1/2" deeper than normal. I can live with that .

First problem: the Metra color code on the package list colors that are not even on the plug, package lists 14 colored wires, but 36 wires total on two plugs (24 & 12 pin). Some (abt half) have micro printing for a couple of the speaker lines.. mostly the positive lines, only two of the six speaker negative lines have printing on them. Some are labeled Amp Pos & Neg. Those are easy.. Plug has wht/blu, gry/red, green/wht and several other unlabeled colors with no matching (or even close) oem lines. The Tech at the place I bought it (ebay) said I have to multimeter it out.. well, if I dont know which is which pin, that doesnt help any, guy.. If you look at a Metra webpage, the colors are wrong too. 'Sorry, cant help ya buddy.. click..

Well, I figured out the batt, power, illum/dim and ground lines, and one line to 5 of the 6 speakers.

Ign key on. No display. Hmmm.. I'm not getting LOC, LOCKED, INOP or even Go Pound Sand.. no display other than the time. I can get the time to display, set/change the time but nothing else.

The TheftLock led blinks. I know it will have to be programed by a dealer, but as the time is -all- I can get from it, I cant even take it in as it wont turn on. DMM shows 12v at both the batt and switched lines at the radio w/key on.

Is this a model that is "always on, just asleep" and the BCM commands it to wake up.. like 2005 and up GM radios? I can run a line from the BCM but into what line?

Is there more than one switched power on lead for late model '02 and up? Again, the actual colors on the Metra plug are nothing like the color code on the package, except yellow(batt), orange (illum/dim), and black (ground, 3 of them).

Again the 15091317 was an option for my '02 Blazer LS vin, according to Power Chevy parts guy.. only wrench may be early/late '02 change.

So does anyone have the specific pin-out for this radio? Or know where I can find it? If I can get the radio pin-outs, I can match up wire to wire.

I searched for 3 days looking for 15091317 pin diagrams but Google, Yahoo, Bing, Ask and other engines either give me other people looking for color codes, or many places selling this radio (maybe I know why now).

Scosche GM1583B OEM harness: (these colors are present/correct)
Yellow – 12V Constant
Red – 12V Accessory
Black - Ground
Orange – Dash Light Dimmer/Illumination
Green – Left Rear Speaker (+)
Green with Black Stripe Left Rear Speaker (-)
White – Left Front Speaker (+)
White with Black Stripe – Left Front Speaker (-)
Purple – Right Rear Speaker (+)
Purple with Black Stripe – Right Rear Speaker (-)
Gray – Right Front Speaker (+)
Gray with Black Stripe – Right Front Speaker (-)
Blue - Power Antenna

Metra 71-2003-1 Harness (completely wrong color code) two separate plugs

Yellow – 12V Constant
Red – 12V Accessory
Black - Ground
Orange – Dash Light Dimmer/Illumination
Green – Left Rear Speaker (+)
Green with Black Stripe Left Rear Speaker (-)
White – Left Front Speaker (+)
White with Black Stripe – Left Front Speaker (-) (no wht/blk wire)
Purple – Right Rear Speaker (+)
Purple with Black Stripe – Right Rear Speaker (-) (no prpl/blk wire)
Gray – Right Front Speaker (+)
Gray with Black Stripe – Right Front Speaker (-) (no gry/blk wire)

Why am I doing this? Why do we do anything? I just wanted an oem system. I know there are a LOT of smart guys here, hmmm, will I have to switch BCM's to get this to turn on?

Last edited by skygodtj; 05-02-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Beginning Member
xAnarChisTx is on a distinguished road
Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks, I did see that, but it is no help as that does not tell me the radio pin outs.. thats what i need.. I'm suspecting, I will have to take the radio into the Parts or Service guy, and he looks it up in the Fix-It book..

Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Beginning Member

GM Parts guy was no help, Nothing in the parts computer showed pin-outs.. so the radio is installed, new dd dash from a Bravada in place, but still lacking the proper wiring, I cant get it to turn on or even show LOC (or LOCKED).. the TL led blinks, and the batt power lead (yellow) allows the clock to work, it will take, and eject a CD as its supposed to.

Which radio lead gets the 12v ign power? If I can just get it to partitally power to say LOC, I'll be able to take it to get the vin burned in. I'm almost to the point of taking the truck to the dealer and just having them do the fix. I'd rather have an OEM rig than some pioneer/kenwood/pani part in the dash.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member

Radio in place, power only displays clock, nothing else.

Attached Thumbnails Swap early 2002 radio for late 2002, troubles-blazer_rds_radio_in_place.jpg  

Last edited by skygodtj; 05-23-2012 at 09:17 PM.