Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1997 Bravada AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 03:46 PM
Beginning Member
GoneSouth is on a distinguished road
Default 1997 Bravada AWD

1997 Olds Bravada W/4.3L,app 125K miles.
It suddenly developed a fairly significant coolant leak.I can't see where it's coming from looking down from above,but it's draining right about at the rear seal/trans. mount and just to the driver's side of center.
What is there in that area of the engine that would leak coolant at a fairly steady stream,not a drip.And only when the engine is running?
Thanks

Old 03-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Possibly an intake manifold gasket leaking, running down the back of the engine perhaps?

Old 03-15-2016, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member

I'd guess that's possible.
But I'm hoping for something much less expensive.
Thanks

Old 03-15-2016, 08:17 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Heater hoses, but they're on the passenger side of center. Leaky lower intake manifold gaskets are a very common problem. If the coolant has been serviced regularly, (flush & fill with Dexcool every 3 yrs or 36K miles) the manifold itself should be ok. If it has been neglected, chances are pretty good that electrolysis has eaten away at the manifold, and possibly the heads. If the pitting is severe enough, replacement might be necessary. If all it needs is the gaskets replaced, and you do it yourself, it's under $100. Time consuming job, but not difficult.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:13 PM
Beginning Member

So far that's all I've been hearing,and not what I hoped for,to be honest.
Thanks

Old 03-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Heater hoses, but they're on the passenger side of center. Leaky lower intake manifold gaskets are a very common problem. If the coolant has been serviced regularly, (flush & fill with Dexcool every 3 yrs or 36K miles) the manifold itself should be ok. If it has been neglected, chances are pretty good that electrolysis has eaten away at the manifold, and possibly the heads. If the pitting is severe enough, replacement might be necessary. If all it needs is the gaskets replaced, and you do it yourself, it's under $100. Time consuming job, but not difficult.
I'm pretty sure that it's going to be the gaskets,and it didn't ask me whether that was what I wanted to work on.Cars are funny that way.
So,to replace the gaskets I would need the replacement upper and lower gaskets,plus probably some new form a gasket,since what you don't use always turns into a rock.
Is that all you can think of?
Thanks

Old 03-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Most auto parts stores rent/loan cooling system pressure testers to locate the leak. If the intake gaskets are the problem, Felpro MS98002T is the gasket set you'll need, and it comes with RTV. Lots of helpful tips for doing the job correctly. If it's not done correctly, it will cause more problems. You will need accurate inch pound, and foot pound, torque wrenches, and a 5/16x18 tap and die, along with some basic hand tools. Let us know when you are ready to do the job.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:01 AM
Beginning Member

I'll probably get the kit tomorrow and start on it this weekend.I have some problems so it's going to take a good bit longer than it would most people to do this,hopefully have it back together next weekend.
I got a nifty little torque wrench today,that was fun.
I'll scream if I run into problems,trust me.