Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2002 Chevy Blazer 4WD will not shift into any gears.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:47 PM
ssmith0386 is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 Chevy Blazer 4WD will not shift into any gears.

Hello sorry for the long post, the bold paragraph has the issue with the vehicle in question.

Here is a video

I have a 2002 Chevy Blazer 4Dr, has 4WD, currently has 133K miles on it. I bought it two years from a Chevrolet dealership. It has been a very reliable car and other than a fuel pump, water pump, and suspension work and maintenance hasn't needed much attention. I knew the fuel pump would go out because a lot of the vehicles had low fuel, which is common for a dealership. I do my own tune ups and oil changes, and brake pads, and anything else that seems easy enough but I know when to take my car to a shop. The 4WD light was on and the 4WD selector switch did not light up but they car drove fine, I figured cars could drive without their 4WD because I lost my 4WD on my old 2001 Chevy Blazer once and it drove fine.

Recently after someone backed into my vehicle causing door frame damage, I took it to a Chevrolet Dealership Collision Center (Not the same one I bought my vehicle from), they replaced the door with a door from a 03 Trailblazer and painted it. They called me while they still had it and told me they were having trouble getting it to move and that it would not move at all, they told me they had their service department look at it and that they think it is related to the 4WD. They said it was stuck in 4WD. When they completed the body work and I went to go pickup the car they were trying to get it to work again so I tried to drive it, it went a few feet and then stopped. They said they had no idea what was going on with it, I had it towed to my repair shop but they didn't want to fix it and told me to take it to a dealership.

The vehicle does not move in any gears, if you put it in drive or reverse or 1, 2, or 3 the vehicle feels like it is in park all the time, it won't move the engines just revs. When you shift from drive to park a loud noise comes from underneath the vehicle. You cannot feel the transmission shifting either but before you could feel it in the shifter a little. There was a clunking noise when you put the vehicle in reverse before but now it is gone. Also I had to put a new battery in because my 3 year old one was dead, before the key is put in the ignition the battery light comes on. There was a clicking noise coming from the transfer case control module and the collision repair shop told me it was the cause of the vehicle not moving so I replaced it with a remanufactured one from Autozone but that did not resolve the problem, but the 4WD selector switch did light up.

I had it towed to Aamco to have the transfer case and possible transmission issues looked at and after a week so far all they have come up with is a made up repair that I am being charged for but didn't fix my vehicle. Dealerships are backed up and I had to schedule appointments two weeks in advance with them. They are going to swap the transfer case control module because they said there is not power coming out of it I believe, and they are going over the wiring because they said it looks like a wiring issue. I am towing it to the chevy dealership that I bought the vehicle from since they have a nice service department later this week, and then the service department at the dealership that caused the problem but i am worried about being charged for made up repairs that won't fix it. This didn't happen until it was in the dealership's collision shop, I believe it is something they caused when working on the vehicle. They also fixed my bad parking brake but I never told them about how the vehicle would move slowly when it was engaged but someone fixed it, they said they didn't know about it at first. It must be related to the body shop technician replacing my door or maybe they screwed up. None of the fluids are low but i have only checked the oil and transmission fluid, there were no signs of transmission failure except for the 4WD not working, there were no loud grinding noises or vibration on the freeway, or slipping, or shift issues.

Could any provide any information on what to have the shops check on?

Last edited by ssmith0386; 10-19-2014 at 12:52 PM.