Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

MAF Cleaners..... ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Starting Member
2klt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MAF Cleaners..... ???

Just to be sure, do these cleaners, (Electronic/Brake)need to be the type that are plastic friendly? Any other precautions?
thanks...

Old 03-13-2007, 10:27 PM
iceman1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: MAF Cleaners..... ???

what kind of MAF cleaner will you be using

Old 03-13-2007, 11:05 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

CRC makes a MAF specific cleaner. But essentially you need an electronics parts cleaner that does not leave a residue on the wires...most of these products are plastic safe....Radio Shack sells and electronic tuner cleaner that works to...but do not use a brake/carbon cleaner...

Old 03-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For the MAF, I use general electrical parts cleaner, but I spray it into the cap and then use a q-tip to clean the elements of the MAF.

Most autoparts stores now carry sensor safe carbon cleaners. Better yet, they carry MAF specific cleaners as well as EGR specific cleaners. My view on this is that they are both one in the same with the regular sensor safe carbon cleaner, but since they put MAF or EGR in big letters, they can sell it for more $$$.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Starting Member

This is the deal here and would appreciate any replys and/or views.... I removed the covers from the TB to the Air Cleaner. Used some seafoam just becuase it was convenient but main reason was to check the air filter element (K&N). Cleaned it and reoiled. Afther this is when the P0171/0174 DTC's were thrown. Borrwoed an Actron 9175 to check and clear. By the time I had done this the CES was out but errors were logged. At any rate, after clearing the light is back on again. I am thinking the K&N oil may have caused the problems. But I was going to clean the MAF as I have never done it before. At all actually which is why I changed my mind in doing so as I had about a 250 mile round trip that I had to make the next morning and didn't want to take a chance on screwing something up with that ahead. Now,... I didn't see how that reall cames apart. The four screws looked to be the way in but again, didn't want to chance screwing it up being unfamilar territory. Is that the way to disassemble the housing to get to the sensor to clean it? I have read that it is a very sensitive device to ESD damage etc. I would like some pointers or hints to use if anyone can send some. Pics would be great if anyone has one taken apart laying around...!!!
Thanks for any help...

Old 03-14-2007, 01:42 AM

You over oiled the airfilter and the oil is building up on the MAF....this is a common problem with the oiled/foam cleaners. GM has a Service Bulletin denying any warranty claims from over oiled filters and oil on the MAF...But it is easy to clean with the cleaners I and Kyle mentioned...now you just have to figure out which one to get....also be really careful with the cotton swab(Q-tip) make sure you soak the swab and gently rub the wires, they will break easily. I have found that if the cleaner comes with an extender for the spray nozzle it increases the pressure enough that you may not need to use the cotton swab method...also spray the metal horns to remove any deposits that might reoil the MAF...

Old 03-14-2007, 01:54 AM
Starting Member

Yup , kinda figured that might have been part of the problem if not THE problem. I did forget to mention that on the cover of the TB, there is that O-ring underneath. It looked as if some type of sealer (orange or red) had been used. I did not reuse any as I thought that a good enough seal at that point of contact was not a big issue. Obviously it is but what are the chances it is contributing to an air leak and causing the lean condition along with the over oiled element?
tia

Old 03-14-2007, 02:11 AM

You might have to get another O-ring gasket, the other "sealant" might have been used to hide a bad seal on the original O-ring. When I replaced my spider I removed my TB but i did not use sealant and a new gasket...O-ring gaskets should not need any additional sealant unless they leak....

Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Starting Member

Thought this might be of some interest for some...

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf