Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine additives

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:28 AM
dhud64 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine additives

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on engine additives, such as Sea Foam, and others for cleaning etc? I have an old bronco 2 also and it's burning some oil; was thinking about trying an additive.
Part of me thinks it's a waste of money, the other part thinks it's worth a try.
Thoughts?

Old 01-15-2015, 11:21 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Well, cleaning will not make a leak such as burning oil any better IMO. Just pulling the valve covers and replacing the stem seals will though. I just did this on my car that was leaking about a quart every 100 miles past the stem seals. It fixed it so much that it now runs like a different car since each valve was essentially a vacuum leak and was worth about 30 IAC counts(the idle air motor was closed down that much farther to account for the vacuum leaks).

To make this short, I think there is a time and place for additives and what you want it to do should be taken into consideration. Something meant for cleaning will make a leak worse. Something thick will stop or slow a leak but at the cost of increasing oil viscosity. Engine cleaners should not be necessary as long as oil is being changed at correct intervals and more often if the engine is exposed to high temperatures which cause small amounts of burning to the oil. So if you have carbon buildup in the engine to remove then a cleaner would help. But I don't forsee it correcting any problems.

This is just my thoughts on it.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:46 AM
dhud64 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback!