Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Help broke down on a trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Beginning Member
cbenslay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help broke down on a trip

I am trying to do this on my phone so please excuse any typo's.
Short story - drove from Indianapolis to Chicago without issue. Left convention center to go back to hotel and noticed oil pressure fluctuating from 40 to 0 and back at highway speed. Jumped off toll road in a bad area and quickly put 2 quarts in because the change oil light came on a couple of weeks ago and I figured that was the issue. Also, I wanted to hurry and get to the hotel. Oil pressure still fluctuating - Oops probably too much oil now. Pressure dropped to 0 most of the way back - 10 miles. Temperature never moved so I kept going. Got to hotel and it kinda sounds like a diesel. Is that from too much oil? Any ideas? I read that sending unit could be the culprit. No tools with me but AutoZone will probably let me use some if I get the unit there.
Thanks for any advice.
Chuck

Old 01-15-2016, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Did you bother to check the oil using the dip stick? Aside from that, when the oil pressure dropped to 0 why did you keep driving? Does the engine even turn over now?

Old 01-16-2016, 06:49 AM
Beginning Member
cbenslay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AJBert
Did you bother to check the oil using the dip stick? Aside from that, when the oil pressure dropped to 0 why did you keep driving? Does the engine even turn over now?
* this should be at the end, but I can't scroll down the window on my phone... The truck runs fine this morning. I'm going to get the oil changed and the try the sending unit. Hopefully I can salvage our trip and the truck is ok.

Yes, I checked the oil on the dipstick. It was very dark and hard to see. I put in one quart and tried to get back on the toll road. The pressure continued to fluctuate. I pulled over in a very rough part of town, quickly poured in another quart and got out of the asap. My wife was in the car. I kept driving with the 0 reading because I really had no other choice. The truck was running just fine and the temperature never rose.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by cbenslay; 01-16-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Starting Member
Vahomboy is on a distinguished road

My oil pressure started fluctuating one day and I replaced the OP sensor and back to normal but mine never went to 0 though.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:52 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vahomboy
My oil pressure started fluctuating one day and I replaced the OP sensor and back to normal but mine never went to 0 though.
yeah those are common, if you had no oil pressure your engine would have been knocking almost instantly. i used to own a blazer that had 30psi upon cold start and would go down to zero slowly over the course of 20 minutes so i always drove it at 0 oil pressure for years, never cared about the gauge

Old 01-16-2016, 12:46 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE Got to hotel and it kinda sounds like a diesel. Is that from too much oil? [/QUOTE]

This part of his first post kinnda bothers me. No I wouldn't think too much oil would cause a diesel sounding rattle, inless maybe its way over full and the crank it wiping it into a foam, not good for the motor tho in any terms - Makes me wonder if the oil pump isn't on its way out also.