Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Help..oil smells like fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 04:10 AM
snowmann66 is on a distinguished road
Default Help..oil smells like fuel.

I pulled my oil dipstick out and my oil smells like fuel and I was 2 quarts over full. When I start the truck it sounds like a rubber band unwinding in a pop can. Keeps flooding out. When I turn the truck off it smells like a gas station. When it's cold it starts right up. And when it's warm I have to crank on it before it will start.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Year, make, model & engine would help us

Old 12-02-2014, 12:57 AM

Yes, I guess it would help. It's a 1994 Chevy blazer s10 4x4. Vortec 4.3 liter 6 cylinder. Thank you for taking time to help.

Last edited by snowmann66; 12-02-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Ah, that's better! Always good to know what we're working on The fuel delivery system on your engine is prone to fuel leaks inside the plenum. Checking fuel pressure and leakdown is a good place to start. Most auto parts stores rent or loan testers for free. You buy it, use it, and return it when you're done. They also sell them for around $40.

There are two common problems with the CMFI, (Central Multiport Fuel Injection) system, and they both develop fuel leaks. First are the fuel lines in the plenum, commonly referred to as the "nut kit". Don't ask why it's called that, nobody knows. Dorman - Help CMFI Fuel Injector Feed and Return Line 55163: Purchase the best Fuel Injector Hose Kit at Advance Auto Parts

The second is the fuel pressure regulator: Dorman - Help Fuel Pressure Regulator 55162: You?ve found the best Pressure Regulator at Advance Auto Parts

A fuel pressure and leakdown test will diagnose everything from the pump to the regulator. The easiest way to spot a leaky regulator or return line, is to remove the plenum, and activate the fuel pump. When you have a fuel pressure tester handy, let us know and we can walk you through the procedure, (easy and only takes about 15 minutes).

Old 12-02-2014, 11:12 PM

Thank you. I will definitely do this. There are other issues. My truck starts right up when it's cold but after it warms up it runs rough. a few days ago I let it idle for several minutes and the smell of gas was very strong. (It's strong when I start it and after I shut her off too) When I went to drive off it died. It wouldn't start for quite a while afterwards, though it acted like it wanted to. I got it home and the next day is when I found fuel in the oil. I don't have a lot of cash to blindly put into the truck. I appreciate any thoughts/ideas.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:54 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

well ya - when cold and has been sitting the gas has evaporated off - fire it up and if you have leaks under the plenum it will start dumping raw fuel into the intake flooding the engine - [flooded engine = runs rough, strong smell of gas, stalling engine, hard restarts and fuel washing past the rings diluting the oil]

Old 12-03-2014, 04:36 PM

Yup, all of those symptoms point to the two parts described above. Gotta check 'em out first though

Old 01-15-2015, 08:47 PM

Thank you again for your help. That's exactly what it sounds like it is. I am just now getting some time away from work to start on this project. I'll definitely get back to you and let you know how things are going.