Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil cooler line delete on 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:52 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I'm one of those who used hose clamps when I made my new lines. I know it's not the best solution, and I should have gone with ones like the Captain said. However, I put two clamps at every end of the hoses, and it's been over a year, and not a single drip!

Who was it that likes to take the lines off altogether? Chris015? I can't remember. He claims it works well, but I like the idea of the oil cooler, and it's a lot easier to access the filter behind the skid plate, rather than up above the driveshaft.
Woohoo...im remembered. LOL

K, im gonna be the delete guy...

1st gens come with the nipple you need...gm part # 14081300. You can buy it new for 12 or so bucks at the dealership,or if your nice i can get it for ya at the yard,it comes removable on 1st gens. remove the lines,the adapter,chunk off the old gasket on the inside of the block,install nipple with torx wrench. screw on filter (pf47 filter,if you cant find it,cross ref that part #) its shorter and will work for 4wd)

Ive done it 3 times. im hard on these trucks,never a problem. if you tow,KEEP the lines. if its just a whatever driver....do it.....

Old 02-15-2014, 07:01 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Of course you're remembered, how could we forget?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

LOL <3 i try.

but OP,if you must delete...then follow what i said. Ive done it 2-3 times,never a issue. but if you do indeed tow etc,keep the lines.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:43 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Deleted mine, will never look back.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:01 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chris015
Woohoo...im remembered. LOL

Ive done it 3 times. im hard on these trucks,never a problem. if you tow,KEEP the lines. if its just a whatever driver....do it.....

Yeah, for daily driving, the cooler isn't really necessary. Most vehicles probably don't even come with one. I like to imagine hard-core off roading, and zombie apocalypse rock climbing, so I wanted to keep mine! LOL

Old 02-16-2014, 02:54 PM
2000jimmbo4x4 is on a distinguished road

chris015, do you know for sure if the filter will clear on a second gen? if I do decide to do a total delete I want to be sure it will work before I go ripping parts again. the filter that is used is the same that gm used on all their v6 cars I pretty sure. 3.1, 3.4, 3.8. I think im going to end up keeping the lines and just do the good fix to them because I do tow my four wheeler on occasion and my boat / camping gear once or twice a year. how much cooling dose the cooler actually do? I know it adds extra capacity and surface area for heat to dissipate . but the rad cooler really wont cool to much until the engine oil is above coolant temp right? im wondering if I would be ok with doing the delete and running a quality oil? I don't think this engine has much life left anyway ... will the stock cooler lines fit with a v8 swap? Vortec 350 not LS unfortunately .

Old 02-16-2014, 03:36 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Besides being 2 cylinders short of a 350 the 4.3 is the same as a v8 dimensionally. I almost put the waterpump off an 88 305 on mine the other day. I also have a few 3.8 sensors on mine as well. It's a frenkenstein.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

I've deleted the lines on my 2nd gen Sonoma I'm building. I used the filter off of a 2.2 cavalier/sunfire and there's enough room.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 2000jimmbo4x4
...how much cooling dose the cooler actually do? ....but the rad cooler really wont cool to much until the engine oil is above coolant temp right?...
Correct, the oil cooler does not cool the oil any lower than the engine coolant in the radiator. The oil cooler is just a coil of tubing submerged in engine coolant in the left side tank of the radiator, (just like the trans cooler in the right tank). They do not pass through the core of the radiator.

This link covers the subject very well:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/V6-instru...er-removal.pdf

Old 02-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I removed my ext filter and cooler and have had no issues.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler line delete on 4x4?