Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

oil pan gasket RAR

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Beginning Member
trixspix is on a distinguished road
Default oil pan gasket RAR

I have a 2001 blazer 2wd with the 4.3, I need to replace the oil pan gasket everything that I have read is that I need to pull the engine. But since I am having problems getting a engine lift I am wondering if I can pull the transmission and fly wheel to be able to get the pan out?

Old 10-07-2014, 02:05 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by trixspix
I have a 2001 blazer 2wd with the 4.3, I need to replace the oil pan gasket everything that I have read is that I need to pull the engine. But since I am having problems getting a engine lift I am wondering if I can pull the transmission and fly wheel to be able to get the pan out?
NO Sorry! You have to clear the oil pump and crankshaft when removing oil pan. Not going to happen in the vehicle.

Les

Old 10-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Beginning Member

help I am trying to pull the engine but the top two bell housing bolts cant seem to get to from underneath and dosent look like they can be gotton from up top there is also one on the left side I cant seem to get to is it even possible to pull the motor with out pulling it and the tranny as a unit or is there something I am missing I have pulled engines or trannys before on other vehicles but this one is frustrating me to no end

Last edited by trixspix; 10-12-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need to pull the transmission cross member and drop the transmission down to then access the top two bolts with about 3ft of extensions. While you are doing this, need to pay attention to the distributor as it can get crushed against the firewall if you go too far. It usually is best to just pull the distributor.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:04 AM
Beginning Member

thank you I finally got the motor out replaced the oil pan gasket and replace the rear main while I was there just wish I had the money/time/shop space to tear the motor down and rebuild it since I have it out even though so far I have replaced most of the gaskets already during this project just have not done head gaskets/exhaust manifold gaskets ort the valve stem seals