Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Plugs worked then failed

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 01:55 AM
Brokedownbravada is on a distinguished road
Default Plugs worked then failed

Hey guys,
I just got a free a 96 bravada! It starts ok, (feels like flywheel is missing some teeth tho, sometimes big skips and thuds like it was trying to start then no more teeth to turn) but it missfires bad and not very much power. I use tons of fuel, and have no overdrive.
I tried new plugs and it ran way way better. Then the next day it was back to the same misfire and being sluggish..
Sounding like my head gasket is gone and fouling the plugs, right?
I'm going to try to get a compression test but I don't have a tester guage or anywhere to do it and I'm just as broke as my bravada.. that's also why I didn't do wires rotor and cap with the plugs. But if new plugs worked fine for a while the wires and everything shouldn't be a big deal I hope.
I just want some ideas as why the plugs helped temporarily..
thanks

Old 03-07-2017, 09:20 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

How did the old plugs look when you pulled them? Where they fouled up pretty bad?

Using a "ton" of fuel leads me to believe you have some injectors leaking pretty bad which would also lead to plugs getting fouled very quickly which would cause misfires and sluggishness.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Brokedownbravada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
How did the old plugs look when you pulled them? Where they fouled up pretty bad?

Using a "ton" of fuel leads me to believe you have some injectors leaking pretty bad which would also lead to plugs getting fouled very quickly which would cause misfires and sluggishness.
They weren't as bad as I thought. Deffinetly sooty and worn electrodes but I expected much worse honestly. I am hoping its something else besides the heads so I will look into the injectors and the spider, see if anything jumps out at me without taking out the intake.
I'm a Honda guy but I couldn't pass up a free truck haha. So I been doing research trying to figure things out.
Any suggestions on how to test injectors or the spider?