Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > Engine & Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 PM

chvygirl84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing a rear pinion bearing

I found a very very slow leak on my pinion bearing - I believe it's a bad seal - does anybody have instructions on replacing these?
I have no lift, just jacks, and tire ramps to do this with, so as much information as possible would be helpful.
Oh, and I have a 96' 4WD.

~1996 BLAZER 4X4, 4.3 L, AUTOMATIC~
Old 11-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk
Default RE: Replacing a rear pinion bearing

Quote:
My response in another thread:

The pinion seal... Now this may be possible by simply marking the axle nut, pinion shaft, and flange for alignment purposes. Also make note of the amount of thread which protrudes through the nut. Remove the nut, then remove the flange and replace the seal. Replace the seal. Reinstall the flange lining up the marks. Then tighten the nut ONLY until the marks line up with the required number of threads protruding.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:19 PM

chvygirl84 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do I know beforehand which seal is leaking (if I remember right there are 2 - an inner and outer, right?)

~1996 BLAZER 4X4, 4.3 L, AUTOMATIC~
Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Starting Member

fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past

If its anything like my 93 olds bravada rear end, its a simple fix. What makes you think there is bearing failure? There is usually only one seal on any light duty rear end pinion. The hardest part of doing this was getting the pinion nut to break. You need a special tool called a pinion flange holding tool or you can improvise and use something like a very largemonkey wrench (3 foot) like I did and a nice breaker bar w/ large socket (can't remember size- 1"3/8 or mm equivalent maybe). Once you break the nut, you'll need a suitable puller to pull the flange off of the spline shaft. NO IMPACT WRENCHES... but plenty of pb blaster will help. Pull old seal out, put new one in and follow the instruction swartlkk has posted before doing anything I've said. If you have any ??'s,just ask.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk

Quote:
ORIGINAL: chvygirl84

How do I know beforehand which seal is leaking (if I remember right there are 2 - an inner and outer, right?)
Nope, just a lip seal on the outside. It seals on the pinion yoke. If you have a leak on the front of the differential where the driveshaft connects, the lip seal is at fault.

The title is a bit misleading...
Old 11-22-2008, 03:03 PM

Closed Thread

Tags
1996, 2001, 98, bearing, blazer, chevy, differential, flange, front, leak, pinioin, pinion, pionon, problem, rear, replacing, seal