Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Sticking Valve Body?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:15 AM
Starting Member
bbeecher is on a distinguished road
Default Sticking Valve Body?

Hey,

I recently bought a 2001 LS Blazer to restore it. Replaced top half of the motor, transmission, and transfer-case. After i replaced the transmission, it ran for 40 miles no problem sifted like it was suppose to. Ended up running out of fluid in the pan and lost 4th gear then third, then everything. I took off the transmission pan and took out all of the solenoids, Noticed every one was clogged majorly, I ended up just replacing everyone but the one connected to the wire harness. Bolted back up filled fluid to proper level, and let it idle for a while. Fluid level was still good, Took it for a test drive and it drove completely fine again but this time felt like i was starting off in 3rd gear until it switched into 2nd. While i would be in 4th sometimes it would all of a sudden feel like it just tried switching into a gear that didn't exist and the rpms would drop and feel like the car just dragged. This would only happen for a few seconds. I ended up running out of fluid once again in the pan after a few days, Note there is no leak, once it ran out again i lost all but first gear. Now i am able to get it into second if i play with the level from first to second or from 3rd to second. Sometimes but rarely if im in second and at 50 MPH, I can throw it in drive really quick and it will go into 3rd then 4th. I already took it all apart again and cleaned it, even the MPS. Now when i first replaced the solenoids i broke the gasket on the i believe it was some sort of pump, i could not get the one solenoid out without taking it off, i used gasket sealer and repaired the gasket. Whats going on?

Thanks, Brandon.

Last edited by bbeecher; 05-23-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Tranzman is on a distinguished road
Default where did all the fluid go?

Originally Posted by bbeecher
Hey,

I recently bought a 2001 LS Blazer to restore it. Replaced top half of the motor, transmission, and transfer-case. After i replaced the transmission, it ran for 40 miles no problem sifted like it was suppose to. Ended up running out of fluid in the pan and lost 4th gear then third, then everything. I took off the transmission pan and took out all of the solenoids, Noticed every one was clogged majorly, I ended up just replacing everyone but the one connected to the wire harness. Bolted back up filled fluid to proper level, and let it idle for a while. Fluid level was still good, Took it for a test drive and it drove completely fine again but this time felt like i was starting off in 3rd gear until it switched into 2nd. While i would be in 4th sometimes it would all of a sudden feel like it just tried switching into a gear that didn't exist and the rpms would drop and feel like the car just dragged. This would only happen for a few seconds. I ended up running out of fluid once again in the pan after a few days, Note there is no leak, once it ran out again i lost all but first gear. Now i am able to get it into second if i play with the level from first to second or from 3rd to second. Sometimes but rarely if im in second and at 50 MPH, I can throw it in drive really quick and it will go into 3rd then 4th. I already took it all apart again and cleaned it, even the MPS. Now when i first replaced the solenoids i broke the gasket on the i believe it was some sort of pump, i could not get the one solenoid out without taking it off, i used gasket sealer and repaired the gasket. Whats going on?

Thanks, Brandon.
Brandon, did you find where the fluid went? I would look into that first, transmissions are a sealed unit and should not be loosing fluid at all. check the level of the TFC if it's over full, that's probably where the fluids going. it squirts past the front transfer case seal when they get hard from age.
Talk to the guy that built the trans. If it got that low on fluid you may have smoked one or more clutch packs...