General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

1996 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Beginning Member
BlazerLover1592 is on a distinguished road
Default 1996 Blazer

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but I'll give it a shot....

Today, I was looking at a car lot looking to buy a chevy blazer, and found a '96 4 dr, LS, 157,000 miles. It looked pretty good on the outside and interior, but I did not have a chance to take it for a test drive due to time constraints. Probably will in the next week.

Now, my questions shall begin. I have been doing some research on Edmunds, and some of the reviews are horrendous for this model.

1) Cooling system problems. Some reviews talk about the factory coolant system being made up of metal/aluminum parts, but the recommended coolant kills it. True or not?

2)AC issues. Seems that all the S10 Blazers have this problem, so not shocked. My parents' '98 Blazer's AC went last summer, $1200 to fix, so its not going to get fixed

3)Issues with vacuum lines being weak, and completely crumbling.

4)Overheating with the AC on. Apparently this is because of a bad fan...?

5)Radiator issues?

6)Apparently VERY costly repairs over time.

7) Thermostat issues?

If ANYONE could give me some info, that would be great.

Thanks,

Nathan

Old 07-03-2009, 06:56 AM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

In my opinion..Lack of maintanance is a huge issue with these..As far as the test drive goes, make sure you test drive it for atleast 50-60 miles this should give you any indications if the ses light comes on..Don't do what i did and just drive it around the corner and back lol

Old 07-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by reelbroke2
In my opinion..Lack of maintanance is a huge issue with these..As far as the test drive goes, make sure you test drive it for atleast 50-60 miles this should give you any indications if the ses light comes on..Don't do what i did and just drive it around the corner and back lol
hmmm, not a bad idea. I plan on driving it down the high way about 30 miles and back that is near the lot. He said when I was looking at it that the Service Engine Soon light kept coming on because he thought the ABS system was acting up. He told me he cannot sell it yet because of that, and is going to have it repaired.

I defenately am going to have a mechanic that my family is friends with check everything out, like tranny, engine, etc.

Have you had anything happen with the questions I listed above?

Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

With the exception of #2 I have had these type issues with all other cars that I have owned, whether they were GM or not. They are not Blazer exclusives.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:39 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

If the SES light is on Take it to advance auto (it's free) and have them check to see what code it is.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
With the exception of #2 I have had these type issues with all other cars that I have owned, whether they were GM or not. They are not Blazer exclusives.
Really? Never knew that, though thanks for letting me know.

Originally Posted by reelbroke2
If the SES light is on Take it to advance auto (it's free) and have them check to see what code it is.
Thanks for the advice also.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Beginning Member

Anyone else have any of these problems?

Old 07-07-2009, 06:21 PM
herskal is an unknown quantity at this point

1) I ran Dexcool in my '96 Blazer until crud plugged up the heater core after a coolant flush. A backflush of the heater core fixed it twice, but after it plugged up a third time I took it to a radiator shop that flushed each component separately and then refilled with plain ol' green coolant. I haven't had to replace any components though.

2) I had to replace my AC system a couple months ago. Not cheap, but it blows COLD now.

3) No issues with vacuum lines other than replacing the reservoir mounted to the hood.

4) Haven't had any overheating problems.

5) No radiator issues.

6) I have had to sink some money into repairs, but probably no more than most other vehicles this age.

7) No thermostat issues.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:35 PM
wolfen is on a distinguished road

1) cooling system, when you buy a used vehicle, whatever make you get, flush it out COMPLETELY and change the thermostat.
2) A/C Issues. Proper maint and replacing parts is common in most vehicles, the A/C in my 89 hasn't worked since 92, thus I have windows that do work.
3)99% of all vehicle vac lines need to be replaced when they break down. GM has always had issues with vac lines, its like the old silver paint issues GM had, you want good vac lines get a Honda.
4) probably either a clogged radiator, poor coolant flow (water pump) or a bad fan clutch
5) radiator issues, I feel your pain, I have those too, only real issue with a radiator is leakage, in that event replace it.
6) Here we go with proper maint again, maintain a GM vehicle on a regular basis it'll run forever, abuse it and it'll be towed from all over town,(My 89 runs like new except for the old age thing going on)
7)Thermostat issues, change the thing whenever you change the antifreeze, no issues

Old 07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by wolfen
1) cooling system, when you buy a used vehicle, whatever make you get, flush it out COMPLETELY and change the thermostat.
2) A/C Issues. Proper maint and replacing parts is common in most vehicles, the A/C in my 89 hasn't worked since 92, thus I have windows that do work.
3)99% of all vehicle vac lines need to be replaced when they break down. GM has always had issues with vac lines, its like the old silver paint issues GM had, you want good vac lines get a Honda.
4) probably either a clogged radiator, poor coolant flow (water pump) or a bad fan clutch
5) radiator issues, I feel your pain, I have those too, only real issue with a radiator is leakage, in that event replace it.
6) Here we go with proper maint again, maintain a GM vehicle on a regular basis it'll run forever, abuse it and it'll be towed from all over town,(My 89 runs like new except for the old age thing going on)
7)Thermostat issues, change the thing whenever you change the antifreeze, no issues
Going to sound really dumb, but where/what is this thermorstat? I really never have been under the hood of a blazer much

Quick Reply: 1996 Blazer