General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Factory tint, problems with inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Argo123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Factory tint, problems with inspection?

Has anyone had any problems getting their Blazer to pass inspection with the factory tinted windows? Here in Rhode Island there's some absurd window tinting law...I had to peel and scrape for days on my last car to get the tint off so it could pass...but does the Blazer rear passenger windows count as "cargo area"?

I really hope this passes inspection...I don't know what I'd do if I had to replace the tinted windows with "clear" ones...

Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Factory tint, problems with inspection?

Find a new shop. I have what appears to be factory tint, but my blazer came from Florida, manufactured in Ohio...not sure if that plays in or not...but one shop tried to hastle me about my tint not meeting NC laws and wanted to fail me. Found new shop that passes me every time. Worst case I've had was a third shop that assessed a $1.85 window tint fee.

You could always move out of RI [8D]

Old 09-04-2008, 08:58 PM

My last car came from Florida to (where it's pretty neccessary to have tint with the sun and all). Went to two shops and got the same reply; "the cops are really cracking down" apparently and they could lose their inspection licence if they gave me a sticker. Bribery didn't work, they weren't giving me a sticker whatsoever.

As for the cops "cracking down" I call bull on that; I see plenty of cars and SUVs out there with BLACK windows with current inspection stickers.

I'll give it a try this weekend, hopefully I'll pass with flying colors...

Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

try a more rural shop. someone that wont want to turn away a new customer

Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 PM

I might do that...

Funny thing was when I brought it to the second shop after getting denied at the first, they plugged it into some mainframe and said "Man, this cars already been rejected!".

It's so lame..they have a sensor they place on either side of the window and make sure it's an acceptable percentage of tint...and it goes right into the computer that spits out the sticker. So much tech for such a dumb application...

Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

My Blazer came from Fla with Tinted windows factory- back and sides -driver & pass window are aftermarket, I`m in nY and it just passed NYS insp last weekend,,,,

Old 09-04-2008, 09:34 PM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know here in Michigan if you by the car with tint already on it, no matter what percent on what windows, if you can prove to them that it was installed before you bought you can get out of the ticket. Michigan doesn't have a vehicle inspection like other states do.

edit: What's the big deal if it is factory tint it's only 20% you can see right through it during the day and at night when you shine a light through it.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:50 PM
BF Veteran

That's wild you're getting hassled for 20%.

And I can see you getting out of the ticket with that reasoning, but a yearly inspection would still cause a problem.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 PM

I'm pretty sure here in RI the tint has to let 70% of light through (whatever that means)...so that leaves a 30% tint that is "acceptable" I figure. And you say the factory tint is only 20%? It looks a lot darker to me.

They takewindow tintveeeery seriously herefor some reason...

EDIT:
And what do they expect me to do if the actual window is tinted and it can't be "peeled off"? Spend a few hundred getting new windows installed and having my Blazer in the shop for a few days?

Old 09-05-2008, 12:13 AM
BF Veteran

move to nc?

Quick Reply: Factory tint, problems with inspection?