General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Gas Meter not accurate

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:22 PM
MacK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas Meter not accurate

I have a 99 blazer and i just want to know which is more accurate, the analog meter on the dash or the digital reading on the module on the roof. Because when i get the low gas light the analog points to empty but the digital readout still says i have like 150km left. I just want to know because in the summer i was getting around 425km for a full tank of gas but now i'm get 320km soabout a100km less.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Gas Meter not accurate

How much fuel are you putting in when you are on E on the dash gauge?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 PM

usually varies, usually around48 - 51 litres but yesturday idrove until thedigital readout said only 90km left and it wentup to 55 Litres.how many litresdo you normally get on empty?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:52 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

My 'low fuel' light comes on when I have 3-4 gallons left in the tank. That gives me ~60-80 miles of driving left.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I wish I had a gas guage [&o]

On a related note, if the fuel sender dies, will the overhead console give the correct range? I would think so, since the sender just supplies a level to the guage, not a quantitative volume of fuel used. Is that right?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The console works off of an algorithm based on the average miles per gallon and the distance traveled, knowing the capacity of the tank. The problem with that is if you are driving more aggressively or less aggressively, your actual mileage may be very different from your average (depending on when you last reset it).

Old 11-10-2008, 01:42 PM

How do you reset the overhead thing? and if my dash meter is correct on the low fuel is there any reason i would be losing about 100km of gas? I don't drive very hard, i change my oil about every 8,000 km with mobil 1 high mileage synthetic, i have a k n N drop in filter and i put a new cat the only thing bad on my truck is my tires, there pretty bald.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:44 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: MacK
How do you reset the overhead thing?...
Switch the readout to one of the 'average' readings (average speed, average mileage, etc.), hold down both left hand buttons at once until the reading resets. Done.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 PM

ok cool thanks, last question does anyone know how many litres a 99 4x4 blazer can hold for gas? i heard it holds 18 gallons so that's about 68 litres i think but i want to know if that's true or not.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:57 PM
BF Guru

2 door = 19 gallons
4 door = 18 gallons