General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

A list of common annoying S-10 Blazer quirks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:22 PM
skorned is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: A list of common annoying S-10 Blazer quirks.

Well, I've had my 99 for about a week now and I'm all ready starting my list...

Passenger seat handle is broken
High pitched squeaking in the dash when I hit bumps-can't find it though
One of the connections for my privacy shade holder (the part that covers the jack in the cargo area) broke, so I listen to that vibrate and squeak
Rear door speakers don't work
Passenger side visor's mirror cover is broken, so it falls everytime my fiance flips it down to primp herself
Those stupid GM lug nut caps...missing 3 so far

But no matter what, I still love it!!

Old 12-21-2006, 08:21 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate the way there's no room in the cargo area even though it looks like there should be plenty of room.

Broken seat recline levers are annoying.

Changing the fuel pump and having to drop the fuel tank is annoying.

The torx head screws on the distributor cap are annoying because the only tool I have for torx fasteners is one of those chintzy screwdrivers with changeable bits but the handle is too long to fit so I had to use a 1/4" socket and a short extension with the bit inside the socket and the bit kept falling out of the socket. Who'se idea was that anyway, you'll strip the plastic the screw threads intolong before you'd strip the head of a phillips or even a socket head cap screw, torx was overkill for the sake of overkill in this application.

The oil cooler lines leak at the oil cooler and autoparts stores don't seem to have the right size o-ring to fix it.

My blazer is a '99 4dr, it's got lots of blind spots, the headrests in the front seem to be the biggest cause.

I have a rattle that seems to come from the exhaust, maybe a baffle in the catalytic converter, lots of people have complained about a similar rattle.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:52 PM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

The 4x4 indicator lights on the fly shifter of the 1st gens never seem to function properly.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:02 PM
blazer97illinois is an unknown quantity at this point

no one else has replaced the ignition switch on the steering column? I thought this was a fairly common problem.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:29 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

i am surprised no one mentioned the never ending rust that eats away at:
rocker panels
bottoms of doors
fenders (above and behind the wheel)
top of pillars
top of rear window

i only have the first three but blazers are known for them all, and bondo seems to only be temporary.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

wow....the squeak in the dash....it comes with the territory...I have the lug nut covers from the right front wheel in my door pocket..(with all the other parts) too lazy to put them back on.....as far as the rust issue..the newer ones are much better on that..I have a 2000 and the only rust I have is on the top of the roof by my rear brake light....it's only because it spent most of it's life in florida..and the clear coat wore there....very minimal..and I live in Michigan...talk about salt! owning a blazer is a catch 22...for the most part..you can beat the poop out of them..and they keep running and running....but like all vehicles....they are prone to their quirks...

Old 01-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point

my parents bought my blazer from a lady who owned a junkyard 6 years ago. in the time we've had it we've put about 50k miles on it, it's at 208.5k now. and in the time i've been driving i've put something like 8k on it. (havent had my license long) it hasnt broke down yet, thats always good. as far as quirks, well...
-seat levers broken
-currently replacing drivers side door (crunched it good) and the hinge pins were a PITA^5 (fifth power for you non-mathematical peoples) to get off, now i gotta get the glass out, not sure how and would appreciate help,
-busted compressor, still get cool air and heat but not as cold, or hot as it used to be
-turning on A/C or heat sucks power noticeably
-rattles and squeaks even without bumpy roads
-gas gauge reads empty at 1/8 of a tank
-battery charge meter reads almost red line, went up some time in the last few weeks from about 3/4 of the way from red line
-spare tire wont stay secured in the upright position in the back, the bracket or whatever that the bolt goes thru just slips throught the middle of the spare rim after one good bump, so it goes airborn on speed bumps and slams back down pleasantly( i take the ones at school at 5 mph so im not going that fast, and yes those are some big speed bumps)
other than that its in good shape, i put in a heater core summer before last, changed rotors coupla months back, only changed front brakes a few times since we had it, back brakes once, and doors, locks, and windows are all manual. and as far as the radio goes i put in a new one last summer with acd player andaux. input jack so i can hook up my ipod, plus i just installed xm

Old 01-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Gunner Woody is an unknown quantity at this point

The whole front end for steering and suspension
Spark plugs
Seatback Lever
Whole sound system
Idler pully
Shopping carts that like to ruin my paint job

Old 01-08-2007, 11:08 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

The damn vacuum 4x4 system, these things suck.( and not only in the functional sense), rear glass squeek,location of fuel tank on the blazer.

I think the spark plug problem is only on 2nd gens.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 PM
backusm3 is an unknown quantity at this point

To name a few:

~ any front end kiss and you have to buy bumper, bumper cover, and impact strip ( dealer cost almost $700)
~ electrical system shot after 100K. dead wiring to 3rd brake light, low beam lights, and currently working on a dead controller for the 4-wheel
~ Tranny. Tranny. Tranny.
~ Even with all new brake hardware still doesnt have much stopping power. Probably where i got the dented bumper.

Benefit: $2200 for a '97 with 100K. Not really a deal when i think of what has been spent.

Quick Reply: A list of common annoying S-10 Blazer quirks.