General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 AM
TxTurtle is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I tried multiple swivels. Didn't work. I think my 15 year old motor mounts are a little compressed, which dropped the motor enough to keep swivels from working.
I aligned the flat spot used a really long extension to get it out. Taking it out was easy. I had a hard time getting it to thread in though without it trying to cross thread. The shaft was putting just enough pressure on the extension that the spark plug wouldn't hit the hole strait enough to thread properly. I ended up using a long beefy screwdriver wedged under the exhaust manifold to pry down on the steering shaft with one hand & it gave me enough to get it started by holding & turning the extension with the other hand so it wouldn't touch the extension.
If the truck lives long enough to make it to the next tune up, I'll probably use one of my cheap extensions & either grind it or turn it on a lathe to thin in the middle to get around this issue. I'll probably put new motor mounts in it as well to help. Or find a 5/8" deep socket in 1/4" drive. A 1/4" drive extension is probably thin enough for what I needed.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:32 PM
Starting Member
kshreders is on a distinguished road

New Front Brakes, Calipers, Rotors & Brake Hoses.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:17 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TxTurtle
Yeah, I tried multiple swivels. Didn't work. I think my 15 year old motor mounts are a little compressed, which dropped the motor enough to keep swivels from working.
I aligned the flat spot used a really long extension to get it out. Taking it out was easy. I had a hard time getting it to thread in though without it trying to cross thread. The shaft was putting just enough pressure on the extension that the spark plug wouldn't hit the hole strait enough to thread properly. I ended up using a long beefy screwdriver wedged under the exhaust manifold to pry down on the steering shaft with one hand & it gave me enough to get it started by holding & turning the extension with the other hand so it wouldn't touch the extension.
If the truck lives long enough to make it to the next tune up, I'll probably use one of my cheap extensions & either grind it or turn it on a lathe to thin in the middle to get around this issue. I'll probably put new motor mounts in it as well to help. Or find a 5/8" deep socket in 1/4" drive. A 1/4" drive extension is probably thin enough for what I needed.
this is how i do it. Through wheel well, put JUST the spark plug socket on the plug, then with an extension you get just enough in the socket to get a good enough bite to pop it loose. works for me

Old 02-05-2016, 04:06 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
Like mine, Rich? That curse of mine belongs out back.

On the #3 plug - I never changed one by removing the shaft. I always weaseled my way around it using u-joints (swivels, or whatever you want to call it) and extensions.
Kind of haha. I am going to be sending it to the junk yard. Or driving it most likely since they will pay more if its running and driving.

*Edit*

Torsion bar mount on the drivers side completely broke, man is that a loud noise when going over bumps. Nothing the stereo cant drown out.

Last edited by richphotos; 02-05-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:41 PM

Well, my chirpping sound came back. I guess it wasn't the a/c clutch after all. Good to know since I didn't want to drop $200-250 on a new compressor or pay to have the clutch removed from this one. I've finally narrowed it down to the alternator... I think. LOL
I've replace the tensioner pulley & the idler pulley about 6 months ago. Did the idler pulley twice for good measure. Sound went away & then came back with a vengeance & I just said screw it & for months I just drove it. A couple of weeks ago I thought I narrowed it down to the A/C clutch bearing. Put a bypass on it yesterday, sound went away until today & now it's worse & most definitely sounds like it's coming from the alternator. I'll throw a new on on there tomorrow or Sunday. If that don't shut it up, then the only bearings left are the water pump, power steering & crank bearings. LOL

Old 02-05-2016, 10:07 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TxTurtle
Well, my chirpping sound came back. I guess it wasn't the a/c clutch after all. Good to know since I didn't want to drop $200-250 on a new compressor or pay to have the clutch removed from this one. I've finally narrowed it down to the alternator... I think. LOL
I've replace the tensioner pulley & the idler pulley about 6 months ago. Did the idler pulley twice for good measure. Sound went away & then came back with a vengeance & I just said screw it & for months I just drove it. A couple of weeks ago I thought I narrowed it down to the A/C clutch bearing. Put a bypass on it yesterday, sound went away until today & now it's worse & most definitely sounds like it's coming from the alternator. I'll throw a new on on there tomorrow or Sunday. If that don't shut it up, then the only bearings left are the water pump, power steering & crank bearings. LOL
sprinkle some baby powder on the belt while running, if the sound goes away its your belt

Old 02-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Coleman Mason is on a distinguished road

Replaced front axle fixed the leak in my flowmaster and woke up all the sleeping nabors at midnight hahaha

Old 02-07-2016, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by newguy
sprinkle some baby powder on the belt while running, if the sound goes away its your belt
I tested it with a spray bottle while it was happening. Plus it's had 3 different belts on it. Every time I put a new pulley on it I got a new belt. On the bright side, I've got spare belts now. LOL
I've been chasing this screeching bearing gremlin for a while. I've got a new alternator to put on it now. Plan on doing that after I pick the kid up from school tomorrow. I wish I could have found a higher output alternator though. It will do for now.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:33 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Took out the tail lights today (the ones I built) and put the OEM ones back in. Tomorrow I will remove the cd player, sub and amp, clean the interior a bit and head to the dealership.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:55 AM
grimarr is on a distinguished road

Not too much; today I moved all the stuff I'm keeping out of my old car and into my blazer before I drive the hyundai to the scrapyard.

And I ordered a driver side CV axle and some supplies for an oil change.

Last edited by grimarr; 02-13-2016 at 03:58 AM.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?