General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

antifreeze smell.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:07 PM
kdanderson5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default antifreeze smell.....

This started about a month ago and i have no idea what is going on. When you turn on the ac, heater, vent, anything.... the smell of antifreeze is VERY strong. after a little bit it goes away. I check and recheck the antifreeze level and it never goes down and is not leaking at all. I have no idea what it is. When I bought the truck in Jan. there was a pin hole in one of the hoses on top of the engine. Could it be some leaked in somewhere during that time and now it just stinks like the smeet smell of crap!?! Any ideas i could check out would be awesome!

Thanks guys and gals

Old 05-03-2006, 12:04 AM
hdlogistics is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: antifreeze smell.....

Sounds like the early stages of a bad heater core. Look for a damp passenger side floor and soon you may see a film on the inside of the windshield.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:53 AM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you happen to fill it lately? Do that to myself now and then. [X(]

Most common is the one already mentioned by previous poster. Somehow the heater core has a small leak.

But many places can spring a leak or start seeping. Could you carefully wash the engine compartment and clean u a few possible places of accumulated antifreeze from a previous problem?

Have done this to myself too. Work on another family members car and a month or two late I smell it driving in and smell antifreeze. My own silly fault of course, spilled some while doing work on something like a thermostat and failed to rinse it off well enough. I am always careful to clean near fans, but will leave it on intakes now and then.

Have you done any work?

Even with the repalcement of an old hose with a new one, certain things can go wrong. Not cleaning the metal surface that new hose goes to can cause a dirt buildup that gives you seepage. Reusing an old clamp can do the same, cause the clamp may not have the same strength it used to. Factory ones should never be reused.

Good job cleaning things up with some engine degreaser and such may show you the leak or clean up the smell.

edit for sp.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:17 AM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

In Sept. i was smelling the same thing with the heat on. I ignored it figuring i had a leak somewhere just kept cheaking the antifrezz then about december i lost all heat. It went out slowly but eventually no heat at all. I had a friend flush the system for me the first night i got some heat back and by the time the third flush was done i had ALL the heat back. You may want to flush the system maybe theres a clog somewhere. Just a guess something cheap and easy to try first.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:29 AM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Makes good sense in an inverse sorta way. The extra back pressure can cause small leaks, I suppose. If it works, do it. Cant hurt to flush the system, can it??

Old 05-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have had very good luck with a 10-15% vinegar solution to put into the heater core with HOT HOT water and let it sit for a good 30-45 minutes. Then flush that out. Do this a few times alternating which side you flush from (forward and reverse flushing). Now if you have a leak, this may clean off all of the scale that is built up inside your core and may make present leaks worse as well as open up new leaks if your heater core is that corroded.