General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

The smell of antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 05:40 PM
97blz4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The smell of antifreeze?

Hey yall,for the last 2 weeks i have been running the heater in the morning and i have been smelling antifreeze.i flushed the system last year.so i checked to see if the carpet was wet on the pass. side and it aint and im not losing any water.i just smell antifreeze.what could be the problem?????

97blz4x4

Old 11-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: The smell of antifreeze?

Blazers have a bad habit of springing small leaks in the heater core. I've been smelling the same thing for a year. The core is a bear to get at - requires taking out the whole dash. I stopped by the Chevy dealer and got a set of six stop-leak tablets they sell for about $5. I'm going to give it a try and see if I can avoid having to pull the core.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:39 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: pilgrim

Blazers have a bad habit of springing small leaks in the heater core. I've been smelling the same thing for a year. The core is a bear to get at - requires taking out the whole dash. I stopped by the Chevy dealer and got a set of six stop-leak tablets they sell for about $5. I'm going to give it a try and see if I can avoid having to pull the core.

Ugg, a mechanics nightmare

If your core is shot or bad, it pays to just take the weekend and replace it.

97blz4x4
Try checking your hoses when they are under pressure, you might find a small pin hole leak. Sometimes the air from under the hood will add to that smell from the vents. If you don't find any, the there is a good chance its a pressure leak from your heater core.

They are a bear to get too, but you can do it without removing the WHOLE DASH. You just end up removing all the cover pannels for the lower part passenger side.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:44 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

You can pull the carpet back a little at the front of the passenger foot area and check for moisture.
I personally don't like the idea of putting sealers in the cooling system. I believe they plug the passages and decrease the the performance of the cooling system and the heater.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not thrilled about using a stop-leak either, but I don't have time in the next 2 months to have this car down. If it doesn't work, I haven't lost much. I won't keep adding stop-leak, and I figure one shot of GM's approved stuff won't hurt.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:50 PM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

My blazer has been doing the same thing for the past two years. And started to smell this past weekend again. I have that nasty dexcool problem in the engine and I have found out the past few years that flushing the system a few times (a few like 5 or 6 times). I believe the dexcool is starting to clog up in the heater core because each time I smell the antifrezze in the winter when I use the heater I then flush it and the smell goes away. The first year I completely lost heat after a few weeks of smelling the antifrezze thats when I decided to flush it and got the heat back and last year it started smelling and I flushed it and the smell went away and never lost heat. Not sure if this will help the guy whos been smelling it for almost a year but if its a new smell, it dosent cost much to flush the system.