General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing water pump info

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:56 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Replacing water pump info

Tip for ya.
The next time you need to change rubber hoses, spray them with WD40 first. The WD-40 softens the rubber so they slide like they did when new.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Resolute is an unknown quantity at this point

I just finished changing mine. I just bought a 99 blazer 4-door and it was about ready for the 90,000 mile tune-up so I flushed the coolant, replaced the water pump, upper and lower hoses, one heater hose that looked to be in bad shape, and the thermostat and rad cap. All in all, maybe 5 hours. The fan clutch can be a pain, I used an adjustable wrench on the nut to break it off. I didn't have a manual and made the mistake of taking the water pump pulley off first thinking it was all one assembly. Big mistake, spent the next twenty min trying to put the pulley back on so I could take that big nut off. Before braeking into that though, remember to loosen the thermostat housing to allow the upper half of the engine to drain fluid out the radiator. Then take the housing and hoses off. I removed the lower fan shroud as well and it made things easier. I kept it off since I plan on doing a body lift. Then with the colant drained and the hoses off an out of the way, tackled the fan clutch. Good luck!
Will

Old 10-26-2006, 11:16 AM
hollisterdj is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in on my 1996 Blazer 4x4 right now. The clutch is squealing like a piggy. I know this may seem novice, but it's an honest question. Is the clutch nut reverse threaded? ie: I would be trying to break it clockwise if facing the front of the truck. I was able to lodge a small open ended wrench behind the water pump pulley to hold the thing in place, but for the life of me, even after heating it for 5 mins with a torch, I can not get this nut to break loose.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:41 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I'm pretty sure you want to turn the nut counter clockwise. I have done this by leaving the belt on, installing a large adjustable wrench and smacking the handle as fast and as hard as I could. Once the nut is initially loosened, it comes off easy.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:45 PM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point

is it legal to post a how-to with pics from somewhere else on here? lol...because i have a good one.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 PM
EkStreem G is an unknown quantity at this point

I've done it before, so I don't think so. I think he might have fixed already tho.. old post.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:53 PM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point

hah ayea...i guess it is pretty old...didnt see the date...but would it be sometihng that i should make a new thread on anyways as a how-to?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 PM
Prodigy is on a distinguished road
Smile 99 chevy blazer water pump replacement

I found the easiest way to stop the pulley from moving while removing the large nut. Using the wrench that fits the pulley bolts, I put the closed end on one of the pulley bolts and the open end of the other side of the same wrench over an adjacent bolt of another piece of the engine that was located to the left of the water pump pulley. I used one of those wrenches that are slightly bent at the closed end side of the wrench and used the angle to my advantage to reach the other piece of equipment. For the life of me I can't remember what was to the left of the water pump pulley but I do believe it was another pulley that the belt ran on. I no longer own the truck or I would go outside right now and look. Hope that helps. I was able to hold the pulley in place with that wrench and EASILY remove that giant nut off the water pump.